Author Topic: '55 Aero Custom  (Read 2220 times)

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: '55 Aero Custom
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 08:30:43 AM »

This very same car sold on a Proxibid auction a few months back for $450.  Same car.  Therefore, the present owner is trying to flip it for 5 x the amount he paid. 

I am making a statement on the asking price, not the general desirability of the car. I am making a statement on the condition of the car, and it is only my opinion.  I suspect this car drops off CL and we don't know what it eventually sells for.  If at all. 

All KF's are generally 'niche' collector cars............

I've seen your cost estimates on transporting cars. How could you possibly know, and then say the seller is "flipping" the car for 5 times what he paid. If you're right, the Proxbid car was in California, now located in Michigan.

All collector cars combined are a "niche" market, otherwise we'd see a lot more of them being driven around.

I can't predict the future anymore than you can, but I think it's a good guess that this car will sell to someone, somewhere, at an as yet undetermined price.

I wish you'd post a link to that unsold $500 wagon that's in 10 times better condition than the Aero. I've been thinking about a vintage wagon for a while now and a little Rambler would be perfect. Ten times better, that's got to be pretty sharp, and easy to make a decent driver.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 09:04:26 AM »
Hi Mark:
The Proxibid auction was a Michigan auction.  This car was not purchased in California and brought into Michigan.  I live in IOWA. 

I can predict the future for this car.  It will sell for a modest gain by this seller OR he will hold onto it a long time.  If marketed well - perhaps an ebay auction noting it's rarity - he might get $700 or so out of it.    More than likely he does not get that out of it. 

The link to the auction was sent to me by someone. 

As for the 1956 Nash? Rambler Wagon, I spotted it on Kansas City CL about 3 months ago and thought how quirky and cool it was.  I am up for restoring a car not often seen. (I "strongly dislike" the Camaro/Hot Rod/Mustang/Corvette crowds at car shows)  I reached out to the seller.  He said he was listing it for an Amish friend who owned the property and inherited the car with the property purchase.    There was some texting then nothing.  So unfortunately I do not have that contact information.

There is a surplus of project cars in America.  Millions more than will ever be done (see the 49 Frazer thread as an example) so when I get a non urgent response from a CL post, I just move on.  75% of CL ads - I never even get a response. 

Who knows, that 56 Rambler wagon might pop up again. 
No old cars owned.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 08:20:54 PM »
Hi Mark:
The Proxibid auction was a Michigan auction.  This car was not purchased in California and brought into Michigan.  I live in IOWA. 

Well, all I can say about your "facts" is this. I was emailed quite a collection of photos of this car about a week after the auction, the morning after it was delivered in the middle of the night by a transport company........... to Michigan............. from California.
Some time after that it was posted on CL. Being a friend of mine, AND a member of this forum I  thought I'd post it here even if he didn't.

I never said I didn't know the seller, just that it wasn't mine.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 08:31:54 PM »
My error then.  I will have to go back and look at the link.  Since you know more about the car, then a lot of the price must be in the cost to bring it to the Midwest from California.

If that is the case, it would be like me buying that 52 Manhattan for $$ (let's say $2000), and bringing it to Iowa for $1500 then changing my mind and wanting full restitution for the transport and asking $3500 for a $2000 car. 
No old cars owned.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 09:02:50 PM »
My error then.  I will have to go back and look at the link.  Since you know more about the car, then a lot of the price must be in the cost to bring it to the Midwest from California.

If that is the case, it would be like me buying that 52 Manhattan for $$ (let's say $2000), and bringing it to Iowa for $1500 then changing my mind and wanting full restitution for the transport and asking $3500 for a $2000 car.

No, it's not anything at all like you buying a car and changing your mind, but parse it any way that makes sense to you.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 08:02:09 AM »
Ok Mark. Thank you for your input.  I hope the car finds a good home. 

Thank you for sharing your expertise on these Willys and correcting my misinformation.  Like you, I believe this car is easily worth the asking price now, based on your expertise. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:56:39 AM by Roadmaster49 »
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 11:07:09 AM »
Looks like he added a new photo set.  I am on my iPhone but that appears  to be a black top grey middle and white lower paint. 
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 09:59:00 AM »
I got this as part of a package deal, but don't have time or space to give it the attention it deserves. Currently in metro-Detroit, car has spent it's entire life in California. Was in storage since 1982. Has CA paperwork.

If you're not familiar with these cars, they were built in Toledo by Willys Motors, of Jeep notoriety from 1952-1955. This is the last model year, with restyled grille, side trim and taillights. These are uni-body cars. This has the larger 226 ci I-6 and a T-96 OD trans. The engine is common with many of the Jeep trucks and wagons, so replacement parts are available. The tooling to make this car was shipped to Brazil and production of this same model was resumed in the early 60's. Soft parts like weatherstripping, floor mats and light lenses for this car are available out of Brazil.

Car runs and yard drives. Runs off a motorcycle gas tank and battery which are not included with the sale. No brakes. Tires hold air but are not usable. Car is solid, save for typical rust spots on the front of hood, inner lip of trunk lid, battery tray and front floors. Tried to show these areas in the photos. Odometer shows 44k.

Interior is complete minus headliner and visors, but the seats are chewed up.I pulled off the old aftermarket seat covers so you can see what's there. Has E-Z-Eye tinted windshield. Many pictures and videos available upon request.

Asking $2500 firm and well worth it!
Call or text 734-625-2723
No old cars owned.