Author Topic: Darrin engine serial numbers  (Read 1326 times)

52 Muntz

• View Profile
    • Email
Darrin engine serial numbers
« on: June 27, 2018, 12:57:11 AM »
I am currently getting the engine rebuilt for my Darrin. The previous owner gave me a few 161 blocks with the car and I am trying to ensure if possible I am rebuilding the block that was originally in the car when it was sold.

Does anyone know if there is any consistency in the serial numbers of the original blocks? The serial number of two of the blocks have a 6P prefixes which from my surfing suggests they may be Willys Aero Eagle or Aero Wing blocks. The other block has only seven numbers commencing with 349.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Darrin engine serial numbers
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 12:04:39 PM »
Some States used Motor Run Number instead of Vin. Not Good if they Stole Your Vehicle  had a Engine #  registered with State , swap Engine & it was their Vehicle.  See if any Paperwork shows the number ?

Some One may have Darrin List that if with Vin they have Engine # You would know.

I take it the Owner before You don't know ? 
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

52 Muntz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 01:30:15 PM »
Alas the previous owner passed away.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 05:23:47 PM »
The engine number is my Darrin starts with 349. The engine is the original.

52 Muntz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 06:50:45 PM »
Wonderful That is great news. Thanks for the help.

warren

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 02:32:41 PM »
I ran into that when attempting to transfer the title on my Darrin that I purchased last year. The car had been titled in Virginia in the past, then sold to an older gentleman in Florida. Florida required the title to change from the VIN to the engine number. When I purchased the car in Virginia, it never ended up getting moved to Florida it appears, a representative of the seller who I understand is in nursing home car signed the title and his rep sent it to me. When I when to the DMV in Virginia knew the number was not the VIN number so I called the rep. We tried several different methods to get the DMV to accept and put the correct number on the title with no luck. I was just lucky that the representative happened to be the county tax collector of the county that the seller was in. After talking to his assistant it came up that he could create a new Florida title that he could send me to resolve the issue. Everything would have been fine if  we had that about the fact that the seller still had to sign the title BEFORE he mailed it to me. After I mailed it back again and got the signature everything went well. I the representative had not had the ability to create a title with the VIN instead of the engine number on it I am not sure how I would have go about it.
'54 Darrin
'59 Ford Skyliner
'36 Dodge Coupe
'70 Cuda
'83 Jeep Scrambler
'67 Mustang

warren

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 03:05:37 PM »
The number was in clear view on the tag on the firewall as well. The problem was getting the DMV to accept that the title and car were the same. I assume there was a method of having the sheriffs office inspect and verify, but that could have been a pain, or maybe it would have been easy to do.
'54 Darrin
'59 Ford Skyliner
'36 Dodge Coupe
'70 Cuda
'83 Jeep Scrambler
'67 Mustang

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 03:33:41 PM »
In California there are licensed vehicle verifiers either at the DMV or for hire from private DMV registration services  Perhaps your state offers that option also.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 03:52:42 PM »
A little more about Darrin engine numbers. I've come to learn that engines started with serial number 3495001 and ran concurrently with car production. The numbers are not a match, however, (car 20 won't necessarily have engine 20) but all Darrin engines should have engine serial numbers that begin with 3495. My car is #183 and has its original engine - #200.

52 Muntz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 03:08:42 PM »
That is great information. Great job.