Author Topic: Blinking Headlights  (Read 2068 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Blinking Headlights
« on: June 03, 2010, 05:16:53 PM »
I got caught in a downpour yesterday evening, and had to turn my headlights on.  After a while they started blinking off--turning off more accurately describes it.  Anyway, they would go off (headlights, dashlights, taillights, everything) for about 15 - 20 seconds, then they would come back on for maybe 5 - 10 seconds.  As I said it was raining hard, and I had the wipers on high (but they never cut out).  This morning, I started the car and let it idle and turned the lights on, and they stayed on normally.  It seems like maybe the rain was shorting it out, but I don't know how to fix it.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Blinking Headlights
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:04:49 PM »
The blinking was due to the circuit breaker at the back of the headlight switch is tripping and thats why you see the lights blink. The rain brought out a short circuit somewhere in the wiring, probably near the socket that connect the bulb to the wiring.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 08:57:36 PM »
rear license plate wire is shorting out ...  fixed mine with a bandaid.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 11:18:15 PM »
That rear wire is an old, exposed, cloth wire.  I'll take a look at it.  Thanks.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 10:12:30 PM »
Yep, that did it.  That wire was down to the metal, and rubbing on the metal clip that hooks to the bumper.  I went a little fancier than band-aids and used electrical tape ;)

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:49:31 PM »
If you listened closely, you probably would have heard the 30 amp circuit breaker clicking off. We talked about this on a different thread. I don't like cloth insulated wire and I believe that unless you have a show car, fix your wiring using vinyl insulated wire.
The wire to the license plate light usually goes bad even though it is shielded from light. 
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170