Author Topic: CARB PROBLEM---HEADS UP  (Read 951 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
CARB PROBLEM---HEADS UP
« on: July 12, 2019, 09:07:57 PM »
it took 10 years and 15,000 miles for todays gas to cause failure of the accelerator  pump in the YF carb

52 Muntz

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: CARB PROBLEM---HEADS UP
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 09:53:38 PM »
A couple years ago I went through two fuel pumps in 6 months with the diaphrams being rotted out quickly. Purportedly by the ethanol in the modern gas. I switched to the one gas up here that has no ethanol (Chevron 94). it's a lot more money but I haven't had a problem since.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 05:54:26 AM »
the new diaphragms are alcohol "resistant" but obviously they can only do so much

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 11:16:17 AM »
Zenith eliminated the rubber from the accelerator pump in the model I bought. I still buy pure gas anyway, 20 mile run for the closest supplier. As mentioned, much higher price, partly due to heavy taxpayer funded alcohol subsidies. One has to wonder about the sales & age of the pure gas being so much more. Gasahol has been a taxpayer funded boondoggle since day 1.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 01:05:06 PM »
I recently returned from a trip to South Dakota and Wyoming where non-alcohol gasoline was available at every station (at least those I frequented) and the price was only a nickel or so higher than the ethanol infused version. I ran a tank of pure fuel thru the Tahoe and noticed not only better performance but better mileage as well.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 09:07:30 PM »
I recently returned from a trip to South Dakota and Wyoming where non-alcohol gasoline was available at every station (at least those I frequented) and the price was only a nickel or so higher than the ethanol infused version. I ran a tank of pure fuel thru the Tahoe and noticed not only better performance but better mileage as well.

Same in ND too, can't remember seeing a gasohol only pump in all the times I've been there. Apparently the oil lobby (& revenue) there has more stroke than corn. Gas definitely delivers more mpg than alcohol.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu