Author Topic: Condenser replacement  (Read 1892 times)

shawn_and_his_kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Condenser replacement
« on: July 14, 2019, 05:04:25 PM »
Can the condenser, model DR-60 be used to replace all of the condensers in my 1951 Kaiser Special?
1951 Kaiser Special

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Condenser replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 07:55:39 PM »
Yes, if your car is equipped with a Delco distributor.

shawn_and_his_kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 10:49:56 PM »
I definitely have a Delco distributor... Thank you
1951 Kaiser Special

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 12:29:32 AM »
The 'condenser' you are asking about is the one UNDER the distributor cap but the other ones you are asking about I think you are referring to ones located sometimes on the generator which are actually static suppressors so as not to interfere with radios and they ARE different.  There should be a number stamped into the bottom of it and, although I have never needed to replace one, I think a good auto parts store can research the number.  There is no listing for a part number in the parts books.

shawn_and_his_kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 01:01:33 AM »
What exactly do they do, and how do you know if they are bad?
1951 Kaiser Special

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 01:22:09 AM »
They suppress static electricity from the generator ( I also have seen them attached to the voltage regulator) so you don't hear the crackling over the radio speaker.  I don't know enough about them to tell you how to test them or when they've gone bad.....I guess by hearing the interference on the radio or maybe even potable radios in the car.  I have seen more cars without them than with them.  I had one that the wire sticking out of it came off and I removed it, didn't replace it, and there are no ill effects ( but the radio in the car is inoperative, too ). 

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 01:28:23 AM »
The one under the distributor cap 'stores' the electrical charge during ignition when the points are open and then enhances the spark when the points opens again.  I believe a failure there results in a weak spark jumping across the open points.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »
I had one that the wire sticking out of it came off and I removed it, didn't replace it, and there are no ill effects ( but the radio in the car is inoperative, too ).

If the car has modern (carbon) plug wires it won't matter. The noise was generated by the old type plug wires that are actual copper wire.  There were also two metal clips that fastened to the hood gasket to ensure the hood was grounded so it didn't act like an antenna and pick up other noises. 
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 06:40:01 PM »
Thanks fid, I've seen those clips and wondered if they were just helping hold the rubber gasket in place....now I know they have a higher purpose!

shawn_and_his_kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 10:41:31 PM »
So, the official answer is... No I can't replace them all with the same model number?
1951 Kaiser Special

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »
As the points begin to open, current will jump across the air gap. The current will carry a small amount of metal from one point surface to the other. This is known as "pitting". The condenser will try to keep the voltage constant as the points open and absorb the current preventing the "arc" to help stop the pitting. I have seen cars that have not had the condenser changed in many years and I doubt they are still functioning. The car still runs fine, so people don't change them. The old rule was new points, cap, rotor, condenser every 12,000 miles. Remember the metal in the distributor cap wears too. Also the point arm rides on the distributor shaft which opens the points and as the arm wears the point gap gets smaller and smaller.

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 04:26:06 PM »
Curious...what would the other 2 condensers be replaced with then if they are not also a DR-60? I have always thought these were always known as a common #)On my Darrin, I also have 3(1 at the coil, and another at the regulator...Mine had a radio installed by the dealer)...(upon looking at the “other 2”....they sure look and match up to DR-60s🤔
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 04:28:47 PM by njpatera »
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 11:19:52 AM »
Follow up: Lol! Just ran up to CarQuest( where I use to work forever) a Delco DR 60 and a good Napa #for the radio noise suppressor supersede to the same #! I thought The DR 60 was a universal...so you are able to use the it 😎 makes it easy since I have a handful of them on the shelf already.
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 07:07:16 PM »
Interesting info Noah.  Back in the day they were all different values.  Let us know how they work if you try them.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 07:18:18 PM »
NAPA auto parts has the correct cap for generator and ignition noise, the part number is RC-1. The capacitance is .5 uf. Just be sure that you install the cap on the armature lead and not the field lead. You'll also need a cap on the battery lead on the voltage regulator.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-RC1-Condenser/332930504366?hash=item4d843456ae:g:7eMAAOSwvwRcCXfC
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:20:21 PM by Corsairdeluxe »
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.