Author Topic: Brakes/Drums for my 1953 Kaiser Traveler  (Read 2453 times)

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Brakes/Drums for my 1953 Kaiser Traveler
« on: November 15, 2019, 06:19:59 PM »
My brakes went out at a car show and I had to slow and stop with the emergency brake.  I found out the Master Cylinder is bad, just ordered a new one.  I just took the front drum off and noticed they have been cut more than necessary (11.057"), so much so, that when I adjusted the LF, the adjusters had no more adjusting left.   Is there any place to get new drums??   I have the back drums off, they are ok.   

Also, I believe the brake linings need to be organic for good stopping power, I remember something on the Forum about that but was unable to locate.  Are we able to get oversized linings like were available long time ago???  I have access to a shoe arcer and will be able to arc the shoes to the exact drum diameter.

There doesn't seem to be many responses any more, have all left for the Facebook page??
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brakes/Drums for my 1953 Kaiser Traveler
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 08:03:39 PM »
I don’t see Your Question on the Facebook Page ? 

Do You have Pictures?
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 08:10:25 PM »
Do you want pictures of the brakes or the car??

I will not respond on the Facebook page!  I've always had good responses on the Forum until about a year ago.  Then there seemed to be less responses, overall.   
54 Darrin # 81

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 11:22:49 PM »
PJ Kaiser ,
I’m going to get My Breaks back in Shape on My All Vinyl Dragon’s. I’m going to get a Refresher Corse Soon.
Breaks is First thing that Goes Bad when Vehicle is Setting to Long.

Yours Just Quit at a Show ?  May be Master Cylinder.
Check Fluid. Get someone to help Bleed. Look on Each wheel if Fluid Leaking.
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 07:28:19 AM »
KF drums are unique to the make - there's no crossover to other makes that I am aware of. NOS units are probably few and far between so used may be your only recourse. I'd check with Rudy or Chris, they probably have some.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 05:51:31 PM »
In the 1930's and forties You used to be able to hire a service that would come to your garage and spray metal on your worn crankshaft and then they would grind it down in your car.  It seemed to work pretty well in the day.  Why couldn't a system like that work for old brake drums that don't get as much wear as a crankshaft?  It would sure be a nice service to have today.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

larryk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 07:13:03 PM »
Why couldn't a system like that work for old brake drums that don't get as much wear as a crankshaft?

I think that it may have something to do with finding an alloy to stick to the drum. Most brake drums are cast iron.
I worked for a major diesel crankshaft manufacturer back in the 80's. We spray welded all the time for reconditioned cranks, but only on the gear step and rear flange, never on the journals. Also, all our cranks were forged steel, not cast.
'53 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
'63 Chevy Impala (Wife's car)
'73 Datsun 240Z F Prepared autocross
'76 Datsun 280Z
'13 Fiat 500 Abarth
KFOCI # 16269

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 06:39:36 PM »
Here's what I came up with that worked well during the installation.  I will find out more when I start driving.

I found some sheet metal approx 0.020" thick, cut a 1/4" strip and wrapped it around the bottom of the backing plate.  I epoxied the trimmed ends on the bottom (see picture) where the spring that holds the shoes will keep it in place.

I cut the drum to 11.070".  With the addition of 0.040" for the shims, I have plenty of adjustment left on the eccentrics.   The brakes adjusted just fine.  I am now waiting on the flexible brake lines and it will be back on the road again.

I also arc cut the shoe linings to the diameter of each drum, so I'm expecting good braking.  Will let you know more when it's back together after Thanksgiving.
54 Darrin # 81

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 07:59:08 PM »
I went through the parts books. 

The 1952-53 grey cover Parts List Suppmenent dated Feburary 1953 to the  June 1951 Orange cover Combined chassis and body Parts List, covering all 1951 Kaiser Models  and the 1954 Kaiser Green Cover April 1954 combined Chassis and Body Parts List indicates the following, regarding drums

1.  The supplement (which covers things specific to 1953 model year cars) shows the same drums are used on 1951-1952-1953 model year Kaisers.  No part number listing in the supplement means the 1951 Kaiser part works for the item.

2.  The 1954 Kaiser Combined Chassis and Body Parts List shows P/N 204633 for the Front Hub;  the book lists the same part number for left or right, even though the wheel cylinders are car side specific.  This is on page 75 of this book.

3.  The 1951 Kaiser Combined Chassis and Body Parts List shows P/N 204633 for the hub and drum on page 143  This hub and drum has holes, using a Threaded Bolt to hold wheel to the hub.

Any 1951-55 Kaiser hub and drum (NOS or useable from parts car) for the FRONT WHEELS should work according to the parts book information.  Rear Hub and Drum are not interchangable with Front Hub And Drums.