Author Topic: hood ornament question  (Read 2126 times)

Dann

• View Profile
    • Email
hood ornament question
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:00:08 PM »
  Just by chance I found this site, I have had a question for many years concerning a hood ornament I took from an old car hood leaning against a pine tree by the Bitterroot River near Missoula, MT in about 1965. It came from a Henry J Kaiser from what I've been told. But I would be interested in the year it was produced etc. The general shape was that of a flat shield, about 6" tall and 3 1/2" wide, the upper part had a silver K surrounded by green glass type material fused onto the copper casting, the lower half of the plate had a silver buffalo, surrounded by black glass.
  You will all just die to know that I sawed it in half between the K and the buffalo and made two belt buckels, I don't know what became of the K but I have been wearing the buffalo belt buckel since I was in the seventh or eight grade and still wear it nearly every day (the black glass has long since broken away so a copper background shows and much of the chrome finish has also worn away. Complete, it might be worth something but as it is, I've only met one person who recognized it for what it is but was not sure of the year of production.
  I thank you sincerely if you can shed a some light on this little piece of history.

Thanks --- Dann

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: hood ornament question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 10:32:21 PM »
No idea what you are talking about.  There is so such car as a Henry J Kaiser.  There is a KAISER and there is a HENRY J but nobody that I know of ever built a Henry J Kaiser

hollenway

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 10:52:05 PM »
Sounds like you found a hood medallion from a 1947 or 48 Kaiser.  The description fits.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 11:28:01 PM »
Yes, from the description, it sounds like 1947-48 Kaiser. Anyway, don't feel too bad as they're not all that rare. They show up on ebay pretty regularly and unless it's absolutely pristine, they don't fetch a lot of money. Usually $20 or less.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 12:35:49 PM »
It sure fits the description of a 1947-48 Kaiser hood ornament.  Can you send a picture?
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom