Author Topic: Kanter Parts...the good, the bad...the ugly...  (Read 976 times)

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Kanter Parts...the good, the bad...the ugly...
« on: February 16, 2020, 05:49:00 PM »
So what's the consensus on Kanter Auto Parts?  I know they've been around for a long time, so I have to infer they are a legit source for repro parts, else they would have gone out of business long ago.

But what has been your experience with their parts for Kaisers/Frazers...if you've used their parts before?
51 Kaiser Deluxe

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kanter Parts...the good, the bad...the ugly...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 06:07:07 PM »
I haven't bought KF parts from them as my needs have always been met by KF vendors, but I have bought many Packard parts in the past from them and it's always top quality stuff.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 07:58:53 PM »
Good to know rrd!

Of course I plan on using KF suppliers whenever possible, but being an inveterate researcher, whenever I get into something new, I want to know 'ALL' my options.  :)  And let's face it, sometimes a newly constructed repro part is just a better choice than an NOS part that's been on the shelf for nigh on 70 years...
51 Kaiser Deluxe

ForgottenTwoManhattans

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 11:42:50 PM »
And let's face it, sometimes a newly constructed repro part is just a better choice than an NOS part that's been on the shelf for nigh on 70 years...

While I can't speak to the quality of aftermarket vs NOS KF parts (in the odd circumstance where both options exist), I can speak to the aftermarket/repro vs NOS world in a more general sense, and there are almost no cases in my experience where an aftermarket part is superior to a properly stored, good condition NOS part. Obviously seals, gaskets, glass, hoses, other rubber soft parts degrade over long spans of time, but when it comes to hard parts that do not degrade over time with proper storage, the actual original part is almost invariably higher quality. Especially in today's "global economy" i.e. Chinese economy, where the large majority of new parts are made in China these days. That means sub-standard quality control in most cases, sometimes grotesquely so.

That said, there are some areas where the marching on of technology has offered the potential for substantial improvement over original in terms of material quality, or correcting known design flaws with a given part. Brake and clutch friction materials have advanced tremendously in the last several decades, providing a world of different brake pad options, etc. But that comes with a caveat, as just as the potential is there for a noticeable improvement in quality over the original part due to a redesign or using different materials, the potential is also there to go substantially cheaper than stock as well, thus worsening the overall esperience. Cheap parts store brake shoes and pads are a great example of this. Most off the shelf cheap brake shoes now are bonded rather than riveted, and the friction material itself is of poor quality, causing grabbiness and generally poor performance and/or service life.

So, as long as one understands the two opposing sides to every part story - that new does not always mean better, just as NOS does not always mean the best that a part can possibly be despite seven decades of advancement - one can make an informed decision on a part by part basis after asking the right questions about the part in question. One simple thing to keep in mind is, if you are having a hard time figuring out where something was made, odds are it was made in China or else other than the USA. Being made in the USA is a big selling point on most things, so if it simply does not say anywhere on it or its packaging whereit wwe mad, odds are it was China.

Edit: The quality of most repro parts for the big three makes are woefully sub-par, some astonishingly so. High quality repros that are genuinely as good quality as the original are very much the exception, and you definitely pay for them. There is a reason why a lot of NOS parts are big bucks even when inexpensive repros are available.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 12:00:08 AM by ForgottenTwoManhattans »

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 08:42:41 AM »
the actual original part is almost invariably higher quality. Especially in today's "global economy" i.e. Chinese economy, where the large majority of new parts are made in China these days. That means sub-standard quality control in most cases, sometimes grotesquely so.

Very true.  A rule of thumb I live by "If it's made in China, it's junk."   Unfortunately, now, for many parts there's no alternative.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 11:05:49 AM »
NOS parts are almost always the best option. However there are a few instances where I acquired NOS parts and there was some sort of flaw not immediately obvious, which was likely why they were still unused.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 11:31:16 AM »
Good point on the chinese junk vs well built NOS...

I really was thinking more along the lines of parts/kits with rubber involved...also things like shocks, and possibly leaf springs (given the steel they're made of and its propensity for rust, even if well stored) but hadn't considered break pads...good info FTM!

Thank you to all who are weighing in on this.
51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 11:32:19 AM »
There is a potential problem with NOS parts if they have gaskets, seals or other types of rubber parts.  These bits can have a shelf life depending on what they are originally made of.  They may not stand up well under pressure (like seals on a brake wheel cylinder) or quickly deteriorate (like rubber and cork bits in fuel pumps, carb, or flexible fuel lines).