Author Topic: One more 51 Kaiser Radio question...  (Read 1299 times)

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
One more 51 Kaiser Radio question...
« on: August 24, 2020, 09:13:15 AM »
So I have one of the later Delco radios with five buttons (as shown in Jack's post in this thread:  http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,12850.0.html) and there is an adjustment that can be made using the flat dial beneath the volume control.

Is this a tone control of some sort?  Or is it a front to rear fader for use with two speaker (one front, one rear speaker) systems?

Many thanks!
51 Kaiser Deluxe

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: One more 51 Kaiser Radio question...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 11:00:46 AM »
Tone is Correct ...

Fader is s Control put on the Dash Left Side near Headlights. Standard on Dragons 🐉...

« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 11:03:00 AM by G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon) »
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 11:12:43 AM »
Thanks GB!

So no fader on the Deluxes...headlights and start button only to the left of the wheel on mine...
51 Kaiser Deluxe

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 11:18:28 AM »
Okay...I lied...still another radio question.  :)

How do the push button presets work on these?  What I'm used to is you set the dial on the station, pull a preset push button out a bit, then push it back in...station is set to that push button.  I've tried pulling one of the push buttons out, but of course don't want to pull too hard, and it seems that is not the way these radios work?
51 Kaiser Deluxe

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 11:37:04 AM »
Like any Radio Push Botton in its Day .
What are You Trying to Do ?
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 11:42:40 AM »
Ifyou got the rear speaker K-F accessory, it came with a front/rear fader.  Otherwise you have to find one that is suitable.  The Delco and GE radios were never equipped with front/rear faders.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 01:04:55 PM »
Like any Radio Push Botton in its Day .
What are You Trying to Do ?

Ahhh...but what was the standard for a radio push button in the early 50's?

In the early 60's radios you pulled the push button out about a half inch or so, and that set the preset for wherever the tuner was set to on the dial (at least, that's the way my AM push buttons worked on my 62 Plymouth).  I've tried pulling outward on each push button on this radio, but they do not appear to operate that way for setting presets.  :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 01:16:18 PM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 01:13:49 PM »
Ifyou got the rear speaker K-F accessory, it came with a front/rear fader.  Otherwise you have to find one that is suitable.  The Delco and GE radios were never equipped with front/rear faders.

Many thanks Jack!

Unfortunately, my Deluxe did not have a rear speaker, so no fader accessory.  I wish there was a manual for these radios, as that would be most helpful.  I asked about the fader option as it is possible with the conversion to AM/FM/4 channel amp I'm looking at, it could potentially use that fader option in the conversion.
51 Kaiser Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 01:20:20 PM »
The 5 pushbutton Delco radio presets are set by pulling out the button, tuning in the desired station, and pushing the button back in. You have to pull it slightly to one side as you're pulling it out as I recall. I don't remember if it's to the left or right  but I think it's slightly to the left.  If they haven't been set up in awhile you may have to get a bit aggressive when you pull them out but they will pull out!

Interesting factiod - every '51 Kaiser Owner's Manual I've seen lists the instructions on how to set the presets but they list it assuming the car has the 6 button GE radio which is a different method! On the 6 button, there is a metal spring tab on the bottom side of each button. You push that spring tab to the opposite side, remove the button, turn the exposed 'tube' counter clockwise  till it's loose, tune in the station, then push the 'tube' back in, tighten it and place the button back on it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 01:23:22 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 02:08:57 PM »

" I wish there was a manual for these radios, as that would be most helpful. "

Have you tried the internet? There is a ton of info out there!!

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 03:53:29 PM »

" I wish there was a manual for these radios, as that would be most helpful. "

Have you tried the internet? There is a ton of info out there!!

Did a brief search on antique AC Delco car audio manuals...first two pages of the search came up with generic crap that was uninformative.

If you've found a link that would be informative, that would be more helpful than 'Have you tried the Internet?"  :D

But hey...thought I'd ask the resident experts to get something definitive...what the hell was I thinking...

Just sayin'...

:)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 03:55:50 PM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 04:01:16 PM »
The 5 pushbutton Delco radio presets are set by pulling out the button, tuning in the desired station, and pushing the button back in. You have to pull it slightly to one side as you're pulling it out as I recall. I don't remember if it's to the left or right  but I think it's slightly to the left.  If they haven't been set up in awhile you may have to get a bit aggressive when you pull them out but they will pull out!

Interesting factiod - every '51 Kaiser Owner's Manual I've seen lists the instructions on how to set the presets but they list it assuming the car has the 6 button GE radio which is a different method! On the 6 button, there is a metal spring tab on the bottom side of each button. You push that spring tab to the opposite side, remove the button, turn the exposed 'tube' counter clockwise  till it's loose, tune in the station, then push the 'tube' back in, tighten it and place the button back on it.

Thank you Fid!

Just tried and you are correct that it's to the left slightly...that works.  On the 60s, early 70s models I'm familiar with there was no need to pull to one side or the other...just straight out.

My apologies if my ignorance has caused any disturbance in the force.  :D
51 Kaiser Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 06:10:09 PM »
Yes, there's a spring metal "slider" that the buttons are mounted on and if you don't pull them slightly to the left, it won't disengage.  That's the key.
Attached is a picture of one with a crumbled button.  I noticed the Henry J buttons were just like the Pontiac Chieftan buttons except the Chieftan buttons are black.  I acquired a working Henry J radio which had crumbled buttons. I also had a junked Chieftan radio here so I replaced the push buttons in that Henry J one with them and it looks great.  I don't know what I'm going to do with it but it's cool and it's different and it's working
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 09:27:48 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 09:10:37 PM »
Konrad,

I think this is an excellent question! To be honest, I have no experience with old radios as I never grew up with them - I had no idea you could set presets on the radio, I thought the buttons just “jump” to a random station and you tuned it from there. Thanks for the info everyone!
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1955 Packard Clipper Custom