Author Topic: 1949 Kaiser Projects Gas Tank  (Read 959 times)

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
1949 Kaiser Projects Gas Tank
« on: April 14, 2020, 10:30:57 PM »
It’s been awhile since I posted on here so I thought I’d share some lessons learned. I have a 49 Kaiser Deluxe and I’ve tried to keep the car original as possible. When I got the car I had trouble with the gas tank. It looked good on the outside but was rusty and dirty on the inside. I couldn’t find anyone with a vat to soak it in so I read on the internet you could use a bathroom cleaner called “The Works”. It basically turns into acid. I dropped the tank, poured in a bottle, added water and sloshed it around. Drained it and rinsed it out with baking soda and water. The tank was bright and clean. Re-installed and filled with gas. It rust bloomed before I could run the tank of gas out.

Next I dropped the tank and found someone who would line the tank with a coating. It held for a couple of years and failed. No one would touch it. I looked and couldn’t find a replacement. A machine shop offered to build one out of aluminum or stainless. I chose the latter. It took nearly all of a 4x8 sheet to build.

We found a sending unit to read from 10 to 90 ohms (10 being full). Here are some pictures. It wasn’t cheap. I provide the stainless and it still cost $1,100. It fit under the car perfectly.

Because I converted my car to 12 volts years ago I bought a Runtz resistor for $20 that drops the voltage from 12 to 6. I installed it on the gas gauge and my meter read about 9 volts but the gauge read empty. So I removed the resistor and put 12 volts to the gauge and it worked perfectly. I’ve been told it won’t hurt the gauge and I’ve read it will. So far so good. Hope this helps someone or someone finds it interesting. Anyway no more fuel problems.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 10:37:00 PM by JoeKeys2010 »
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1949 Kaiser Projects Gas Tank
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 10:30:58 AM »
Beautiful job.  I've pulled tanks from '53 Kaisers and had the local radiator shop clean and coat the tank and never had a problem.  I guess all coatings aren't the same

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 10:38:25 AM »
From what I have read, I have to ask if you are a regular member of the KFOCI?  The club Manufacturing Fund ran stainless steel gas tanks that are exact copies of the original item.  1947-50 tanks, 1951-55 Kaiser Tanks, Allstate, Henry J and Darrin tanks (they are the same) have been run, work fine, and cost a heck of a lot less than $1,100.00 including shipping.  Willow Run parts also has new sender units that work with 6 volt systems.   

Manufacturing Fund avaiability lists are reguarly posted in the KFOCI Monthly Bulletin.  If you don't see something, contact Adam Harder; his info is in the list.

For those unaware and reading this post, being a member of the Forum is NOT being a member of the KFOCI.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 01:58:47 PM »
For the coat, sealer, liner, in the Tank. It’s important to ask If Ethanol proof.

I had a Friend in Our Club did many Tanks It was Good. This was before Ethanol was Used.
He called Company, they said not curtain?

Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 02:21:30 PM »
We had problems with gas tanks ( 49 Kaiser and 55 Packard Clipper ) that we had re lined with stuff sold through Phil Hirsch and Kanter Brothers.  The stuff started breaking off when the ethanol gas started hitting the market.  The stuff would block the pick up line and cause the car to stop.  Had to get out and shake the car/gas tank and hope to unclog the pick up.  Ended up parting out both cars.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 04:02:28 PM »
At the time I needed a tank the manufacturing group had not yet produced a tank but thought they'd have one soon. I’m not the patient type and so I moved forward with this option. The reason I went with stainless vs aluminum is the stainless is not effected by ethanol and over a long period of time aluminum would. I joined the club some time ago and my membership expired. I need to renew and probably will. I miss the newsletters.

I have a 12 volt system now and the sending unit the guy bought to go with the tank works fine. I gave him the ohms range and he got the appropriate sending unit.

I like original stuff when it works but I like stuff that works. I didn’t mind the $1,100 if I never have to fool with the tank again. I think the tank will outlast the car.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan