Author Topic: remove '54 steering wheel to fix horn  (Read 812 times)

retroguy

• '54 Kaiser Manhattan 003764 K542
    • View Profile
    • Email
remove '54 steering wheel to fix horn
« on: June 25, 2020, 11:26:34 AM »
I need instructions on how to remove my steering wheel. It's a two spoke wheel with a chrome bar on each spoke that blows the horn.  The center of the wheel with the K logo is not round exactly in the center; rather it is an elongated piece that extends a short way down the top of the wheel.  I don't see a way to press down and rotate it a quarter turn, and I'm afraid to pry too hard under the center piece to see if it pops off.  The reason I want to do this is because the horn is very sensitive and blows even when I'm not trying to press the chrome bar. I thought the clearance between the contacts in the steering wheel may be loose or close or distorted in some way. 

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: remove '54 steering wheel to fix horn
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 10:01:55 PM »
Remove the chrome horn bar first.  2 screws on the back side of the steering wheel.  That will expose the horn blowing mechanism.  Should be self explanatory from there.

The plate/"K" is attached to the chrome horn bar and will lift off together.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

retroguy

• '54 Kaiser Manhattan 003764 K542
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 03:08:59 PM »
 Piece o'cake when you know where to look.  All the Kaiser info I've got all say to first remove the medallion from the top by pushing down and turning a 1/4 turn.  Worked like a charm.  Found one of the 3 screws that pass through insulated bushings to hold the horn ring in place was missing an insulated bushing.  Got to make one first and then hope that was it.  Plus the screws were semi-loose. Thanks again! You saved me a lot of headache.    :D

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 09:51:31 PM »
The round horn buttons used on the previous models release as you describe.  The 54/55 are different as you have found exception being 54 Early Special which used the 53 style steering wheel and round horn button.

Good luck. 8)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 09:53:57 PM by mbflemingkf »
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)