Author Topic: Modern dum-dum  (Read 742 times)

jneely

• View Profile
    • Email
Modern dum-dum
« on: July 03, 2020, 09:27:38 PM »
What are folks using as modern equivalent for spray on insulation? Not looking to send it out for rhino or linex, and have a bad taste for the DIY variants of truck bed liner. Need sprayable, like original, as there’s an asphalt pad, like dynamat, over top of the dumdum.

Lizard skin seems close. Any experience with that? Aeros has dumdum on the underside of rear wheel arches. Applied before paint and/or undercoating. Not sure if the lizardskin stuff is that versatile. Need to get into it now, while the cars still in epoxy primer, then I can seam paint

Any help appreciated.
LM16094
Willys Aero-Eagles
And a few old Fords

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Modern dum-dum
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 11:00:14 AM »
The only soundproofing I re-did in my car were the floors. My floors had what appeared to be some sort of brittle tar like substance with sand mixed into it, applied under & over the perforated waterboard panels. I didn't want to use that again so I filled the grooves with clear silicone, then silicone glued replacement panels down, topped with a generous coat of silicone. Trunk floor just got the groves filled. That seems to have worked good but I can tell that doing all the areas in the manual would've made it even more quiet.

It's not OEM, but floors & the entire underbody including fender wells got a mildly stippled chip resistant paint similar to bedliner. I have a minimum of 2 1/2 miles of oil & chip to drive over before reaching any hard road, and I'm glad to have it every time I hear a chip(s) hit the underside.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

jneely

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Modern dum-dum
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 09:33:17 PM »
Thanks! I bit the bullet and ordered some second skin spectrum. Same concept as lizardskin but designed to stand up as undercoating. I plan to do floors, roof and trunk then paint. Then dynamat or equivalent in place of those original perforated matting with jute to top it off. I'll do the rear fender wells after paint.
LM16094
Willys Aero-Eagles
And a few old Fords