Author Topic: NEWBEE Question :Electric wiper conversion  (Read 3464 times)

MaiKai

• View Profile
    • Email
NEWBEE Question :Electric wiper conversion
« on: October 07, 2010, 03:33:21 PM »
Greetings one and all! I am a newbie to K/F cars, but have a few old cars in my stable already. I picked up a 51 Kaiser Special in January, and the wiring was shot! Supposedly it's an original 34,000 mile car (4 door, manual w/overdrive). That sat outside from 1969 to now. I cant find any rust on the car and it is 100% complete, except for the drivers side exterior door handle, and the weatherstrip left a couple decades ago.

I am sure that somewhere on this huge forum is the answer I need, but I tried to search and found nothing. My dad has the car in Oklahoma right now converting it to 12 volt with an aftermarket wiring kit. (It is a long distance father/ son/ grandson project!) However, I'd like to keep it as stock as possible.

My question is, (I actually have many, but this is the big one right now), Does anyone know if the New Port Engineering wiper kit for the Henry J will fit a 51 "Special"?. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I plan to keep this car forever, but it has to be functional, and I do not want to run the vacuum wipers. I drive all my cars when I can. This little car has really got me hooked. The way these cars were put together is pretty impressive. My wife owns an upholstery shop and we were really blown away at the build quality. Even the headliner bows are mounted in rubber!

The engine runs great and doesn't smoke or knock , but I do need a new fuel pump, and a 12 V solenoid for the side of the BW O/D.

Thank you in advance for helping answer this question, and furthering our "cause"...I would really appreciate any responses.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: NEWBEE Question :Electric wiper conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 04:48:50 PM »
The wiper transmissions (the arms under the dash) are different between a J and the big Kaisers. You'd be better off using the electric wiper setup that was available with the 51-5 Kaisers and installing a voltage reducer in line to drop from 12V to 6V. If you do go the route of using the Kaiser electric motor, make sure you also use the transmissions and wiper posts that are with the electric unit. They are different than the vacuum version.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 05:54:03 PM »
To get all that you need you will need to take the parts off a 52-55 Manhattan or a 51 with electric wipers (electrics were not standard on early 51 Deluxes). Don't forget the switch. I tried a a voltage drop (resistor) on 2 Kaisers I switched to 12V and found the motor barely moved so I removed the resistor. The wiper motors haven't burned out yet, but they don't get used for long intervals either.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 07:55:13 PM »
You may also want to get a 12v electric fuel pump since these cars are notorious for vapor lock.  The '51 Kaiser Special that Weas now has had a brand new pump in 2002. It was one of those Mexican made ones and it was junk, junk, junk! Spewed gasoline out so bad it looked like a shower head!  I'd recommend finding an NOS one on ebay or from one of the KF parts vendors. Mike Fleming may have one - if he comes on here, he'll let you know.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

MaiKai

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 08:39:42 PM »
Wow, thank you guys for the quick response. I'm going to look into finding the stock electrics versus a "street rod" type 12V universal kit (Keep in mind I have NO idea how much used Kaiser parts cost). Thanks for the heads up on the New Port part not fitting my app. I really figured that was gonna be my salvation. That's why I came here. No one better than the S.M.E.'s (subject matter experts) to shed light on a situation that left me "wiped" out......lol. Sorry, couldn't resist. Not being an expert on Kaisers, I assumed they would have used the same wiper set-up across the board to save some coin.

OK, Here's another question,this time regarding the overdrive. On the firewall, under the hood, up high is what my dad said is a relay with a 30amp fuse in it with 4 wires coming out of it going down to the overdrive. Do I need to get a 12V unit of one of those? Where on earth would I get one? My dad said it wouldn't work with 12V. Any experiences there? (I'm hoping my dad is wrong, although he rarely is). I tried uploading a pic of MaiKai, but I don't know how to make a file smaller on my new compooter yet

Again, thank you guys so much for your input...

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 08:47:57 PM »
Sorry, I don't have an electric fuel pump but may have other items of interest.  Please check my web iste and welcome to the Kaiser Frazer family!  Please join the KF Owners Club. 

Happy motoring...Mike

www.tarheelkf.com
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 09:26:17 PM »
Regarding the overdrive, we've had some discussion on it recently. Check it out here -
http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=1256.30
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Kaiser Ranchero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 09:38:22 PM »
Welcome to the Kaiser-Frazer family. Please join the club and your local chapter. Where is your upholstery shop located?
51 Business Cpe K5113  49 Virginian K4923      65 GT 350 Retro
52 Ranchero K5127        52 Virginian K5221      03 MACH 1
53 Carolina K5381         53 Manhattan K5324    05 Mustang
                                   54 Manhattan K5421

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 09:43:58 PM »
Don't know if you've started the conversion now, but I have really good luck with a 6-volt on my daily driver.  Of course 12-volts will have more juice, but it's just an idea.  Glad you're getting another Kaise on the road, and best of luck!

MaiKai

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Thanks to all of you for welcoming My Wife, Dad, Son and I to the world of everything Kaiser. I think it will be great to have 3 generations of the family working on the car.

My wife's upholstery shop is located in Lampe (southern) Missouri. It's called Amazin Stitchin. Just think of the tourist trap of Branson,MO and Tablerock lake. Gorgeous country, with roller coaster roads.  We just moved here from the Wichita, KS area in June, which is where I bought our Kaiser off of one of her customers. He had her re-do the sunvisors for the Kaiser. Not sure why, since EVERYTHING in the interior is in shreds. But now I have a really nice set of black suede sunvisors. I'm thinking 1950's style Kustom for the interior. Not sure about the exterior yet. I wasn't expecting to get it wired and running so soon, and I still need to rebuild the trans in my 72 Dodge, so I am on a budget (aren't we all these days...)

Mike, I will have to get with you about some parts, I'm sure, and I hope to join the KF club pronto.

I can't say it enough, guys. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...
Mario