Author Topic: Coil Spring Options  (Read 1660 times)

OriginBeta

• View Profile
Coil Spring Options
« on: June 14, 2020, 08:07:27 AM »
Hey all,

I spent way longer at this than probably needed to come up with some super easy and also not break the bank options on springs to assist with the overly large gap between the concrete and the frame lol :D

Both of these provide a nearly identical ride application with the lowered height options, they have a 3.5" base inner diameter which will require modification to 3.68" for install (most spring shops will bend the base for like $10) All in you get the reduced height and correct ride for about $100 at current pricing.

First Up (the ones I installed)
Mustang II coil springs 375 pound rate 13.5" uninstalled height (~1" Drop over stock)

Second Up
Pinto (unsure of the year) 400 pound rate 11.5" uninstalled height (~2.5-2.75" Drop over stock, you might be cutting bump stops to make this one work out....)

Hope these save someone some time in the future.
Nate

1951 Kaiser Deluxe 2 Door Sedan

OriginBeta

• View Profile
Re: Coil Spring Options
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 08:11:26 AM »
Also since someone is going to ask later or try to find some other options, let me open with the details I have for the stock springs

14.5" uninstalled height
380 pound rate
.64 wire

Had some great interactions with the employees at https://www.springsnthings.com/ in helping locate spring options in the right rate and giving some height options, I am told that there are several lincolns and possibly others in different rates but may produce the drop. Those options will soften the ride and risk frame scrapes/bottom out.
Nate

1951 Kaiser Deluxe 2 Door Sedan

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Coil Spring Options
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 10:27:13 AM »

Had some great interactions with the employees at https://www.springsnthings.com/ in helping locate spring options in the right rate and giving some height options,...………...

I worked with both Eaton Detroit & Springsnthings. Eaton made a nice set of rear springs for my Aero but fell absolutely flat with no viable options for bushings. My impression was it was almost not part of their business. Springsnthings were very helpful, and friendly, and got me hooked up  with a couple ways to get them bushed.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu