Author Topic: 1951Deluxe Replace Dash Light Bulbs  (Read 755 times)

51 Willowrun

• View Profile
1951Deluxe Replace Dash Light Bulbs
« on: May 10, 2021, 09:17:10 PM »
I need to replace the bulbs in my Dash Pod as they are not lighting when the Headlight switch is turned on, At first i thought the Rheostat on the headlight switch was bad but the Radio does light up and gets brighter and dimmer when I turn the Rheostat so I believe it rules that out.
Being the Pillar light bulbs in my car were both old and blown and now work since replacing the bulbs I do not doubt the dash bulbs are toast as well.
What is the best way to remove the Pod to gain access to the Bulb's? I see they are right on the top of the Rim and there are three.Can the pod be pulled forward far enough without disconnecting the speedometer cable?
I see the 2 screws underneath that hold it to the dash but have not attempted to remove them yet.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1951Deluxe Replace Dash Light Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 03:09:27 PM »
Pages  321 to 323 of the 1951 Kaiser and Frazer Shop Manual go through how to replace the dash light bulbs.  They do go out but they can be replaced.  It is the turn signal lights that are a bit tricky.

51 Willowrun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 04:34:12 PM »
Thanks for the info my shop manual is at the Shop but i was able to see the Service Manual on Line and read the pages 321-323.
you state the turn signal bulbs are tricky but the manual says they can be changed without removing the pod. o luckily they are still working.Thanks again.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 08:56:52 PM »
Tricky is because of the clump of wiring and that over time the insullation sometimes flakes off or gets brittle.  If this happens the socket may get damaged and could need replacement.  I had a problem of this nature on a 1952 Kaiser deLuxe I had in my early days with the club (the turquoise 4-door with no options except a heater).