Author Topic: Engine bay paint questions  (Read 2085 times)

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
Engine bay paint questions
« on: August 31, 2010, 10:13:05 AM »
Regarding the painting of the engine bay in my '48 Kaiser Special, are the inner fenderwells a kind of satin black?  What about the radiator mount/shroud?  And, was the frame originally black?  Thanks again for your advice-maybe someday I'll get to see a restored one in person to help me visualize all this!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Engine bay paint questions
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:35:26 AM »
Here's some photos of a nice, body-off, '48 Frazer restoration. They should give a good guideline for the engine compartment.

and
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 12:30:14 PM »
Thanks Fid, that's exactly what I needed to see!  That is a gorgeous restoration as well.  I won't be able to do a body-off as it is just me working on it, but I do want to do the best job I possibly can.  That being said, do you have a picture of the master cylinder/stop light switch area?  I had to replace all the brake lines and want to route them as close to factory as possible.  Thanks again!

kndllmtt

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - kndllmtt
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:31:28 PM »
Don't mean to hijack but did Kaiser change engine paint color with the body redesign? Most Kaisers I have seen have a teal/greenish engine.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 02:00:34 PM »
47-48 engines and all 49-50 engines with the 1bbl carb used grey paint for the engine (all one color, unlike the pictured car). The light green was used in 49-50 for the 2 bbl engines. Dark green hit in 51 and was used on all engines until the 54 Manhattans when they went to a maroon. I had a 54 late special that had a maroon engine...I think the early specials used the dark green. Transmissions were painted engine color.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 05:06:38 PM »
What is the colour code/modern equivalent of the 47-49 (50) Kaisers with 1 bbl? Mine was painted something quite different, and eventually it will get redone. Any pictures of such a redone engine?
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard