Author Topic: Kaiser aluminum head engine-proposal that did not happen?  (Read 7741 times)

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kaiser aluminum head engine-proposal that did not happen?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 09:38:52 PM »
Since 51-55 kaisers have an X frame, there is a hole on the right side cross member for the exhaust pipe. If you install true dual exhausts, The two pipes (three cylinders each pipe) would come down the engine on the right side and one side would cross over to the the left by the bell housing and then have to go through a new opening in the left cross member. An easier and much less expensive option would be to cut the tailpipe behind the rear axle install a "y" connection and run two custom pipes out the rear. J C Whitney sold just such a "Y" with two flex pipes attached for this purpose. I put one on my '51 many years ago.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 07:50:14 AM »
Yes, that is what I meant--it wasn't envisioned having a dual exhaust (even with a V8?) so no provision was made for it. Having owned a whole bunch of Corvairs with dual exhausts on the pancake sixes--and other Corvairs without duals and their version of a Y pipe connector-- and having seen and heard split exhaust manifold flat sixes in Studebaker cars and trucks, (as well as on my V8 Wagonaire), I think it does make a difference in the sound having separate pipes without the Y connector.
Here is a nice Utube link for a 170 CID Studebaker with duals exhausts and the split exhaust manifold, and dual carbs. Even at idle it sounds quite different.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO1Hlujr9Hk  (Shuggie's Stude purring)
To see quite a few more good pictures of this 54 Hardtop both outside and under the hood, search the Studebaker Driver's Club Forum  for:    Just shy of ****, Eye Champange?  (yes, with the spelling mistake)

KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 08:14:14 AM »
Geez, Net nannys all over the place!  that missing word is P as in O as in R as in N or "pr0n" as the kids say <g>

Hindsight is 20-20, of course, but if they had built all the 226 engines from the beginning as they did the 54-55 supercharged engines, with the valve rotators as well as a finned aluminum head to help get rid of heat in critical areas, it would likely have been a longer lived engine.

As well, never overlook really simple stuff. I remember many years ago riding in three different Mercedes at different times, a 180D,  a 220 and a 250 gas, and seeing the marks on the speedo showing the 'maximum' speeds for each gear.

KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard