Author Topic: vacuum source for windshield washer?  (Read 1607 times)

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
vacuum source for windshield washer?
« on: October 29, 2010, 08:07:56 AM »
I have a vacuum hose hanging loose at the passenger side of my 53's firewall. I suspect it may be the hose that provides vacuum for the windshield washer. I have electric wipers so there is no vacuum source at the fuel pump. Where do I hook this hose to on the engine to draw vacuum? I do see a plug at the carburetor throttle plate that I could replace with a nipple to attach the hose but I'm not sure if that is the correct place to hook it up or not. I haven't looked under the dash yet to see how it all works, but where is the button or switch located to activate the washer?

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: vacuum source for windshield washer?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 11:35:45 AM »
Replace that plug with a bit of line and attach your hose to it. That's how the washer is hooked up on my 53.
There should be a push button at the base of the dash where it's parallel to the floor. Mine is located more or less below the headlight switch.

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 12:25:31 PM »
I appreciate the help Joe.

Chris

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:31:42 PM »
As was the case with the rear window wiper for Kaisers, there was a metal hollow tube with fitting on one end that screwed into the manifold position noted.  The end of the tube was pushed into the rubber hose to supply vacuum to the unit, via the switch.  Be sure to follow the run of ALL hoses to look for broken hoses, missing pieces, etc as the rubber deteriorated over time.  Also, your switch could be bad as the floorboard mounted units tended to deteriorate as well.