Author Topic: distributor bases 226 l head  (Read 2593 times)

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
distributor bases 226 l head
« on: December 03, 2010, 12:42:47 AM »
Does anyone have information on reproducing the potmetal distributor bases, seems 50% of the engines i deal with they have broken at the block from bolting them down over a washer or not cleaning out the recess

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: distributor bases 226 l head
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 05:53:13 AM »
The breaking of the bases was a problem that K-F had going back to when the cars were still in production.  This should be a relatively easy thing to do as a graphite tooled part (tooling cost well under standard) as ZA10 may work (because it is not plated) as the metal.  There was a die caster in the Northeast a few years ago doing this kind of work.  I will check with barbara to find out if she can remember the name of the sales rep firm that had them as a client if people are interested.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 12:46:13 PM »
Just a side note...there are 2 different types of bases that KF used. One has a slightly beveled edge at the outer most and bottom most part of the base, the other does not. They are not interchangeable due to the depth of the head in which they sit.

Also, I walked into a Jeep dealership 2 years ago (admittedly one that had been in business for many years) and bought one of the bases. So, they are out there and are not hard to find!

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 07:30:48 PM »
Your replies are sadly not specific! There is a collar/base for Delco distributors and one for Autolite distributors. The difference is there is a slight difference in height. The Delco item is slightly taller so if you use it on an Autolite distributor, the tabs on the distributor shaft will not engage the slot on the intermediate shaft in the cylinder head. You crank over the engine and it won't start. You take off the distributor cap and find the distributor shaft is not rotating.
My FC170 set up for 2 years because the collar was seized up on the distributor. I turned the distributor upside down and applied penetrating oil at the base. In the mean time I looked for another collar because I figured if I got rough, it would probably break the collar I had. I found another collar at a KF National and asked John Parker about how you could tell the difference and he had no advice.
Fortunately after continually soaking with penetrating oil, I got the collar off without breaking it. In the mean time, I had tried another Autolite distributor with the collar I had bought and as a result, discovered the difference. I didn't have a complete Delco distributor or I could have had the FC running again sooner.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 06:43:40 PM »
HJ_ETEX , next time you have the problem with the base sticking to the distributor shaft ,  try putting the base in boiling water just deep enough to cover the base for a minute . It swells the base and usually will move enough to come off.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 07:32:06 PM »
That is a idea worth exploring. At the time, I thought the penetrating oil would work in about a week. I had the distributor upside down and added oil as it soaked in - or evaporated since penetrating oil is a light hydrocarbon. Weeks turned into months and months turned into...
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 06:24:16 PM »
Those would be a useful item.