Author Topic: Wet  (Read 5114 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Wet
« on: September 08, 2010, 06:49:20 PM »
Hermine hit us pretty hard in Texas and unfortunately I don't have a garage for my '53 Dragon.  The seals are pretty good, but with that much rain it got in (I think around the windshield).  Anyway, the floors are pretty wet and I'm worried about rust in the floors.  Any sure way to stop leaks around the windshield?

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wet
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:32:20 PM »
Logan, not trying to be a smart a$$, but have you tried a car cover?  You can probably improve over what leaks you have today with sealants, etc., but if you are going to leave the car outside, I would invest in a good high quality car cover to really protect it (short of building a garage, of course).  Just my 2 cents.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:36:26 PM »
I do have a car cover, and I paid $$$ for it--it was over $100.  But it lets water through.  The people who sold it to me told me that this was normal and that if it didn't let in water, it couldn't "breathe."  So does anyone have suggestions on a good cover that will keep out the sun and the rain?

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 11:01:56 PM »
Try putting an extra small cover over the windshield area and the places that you know leak.  A new windshield seal from Rudy Phillips should solve your problem but they make some pretty good windshield sealers that would work until you get a new seal.  Take your carpet out and let it dry and dry your floors well and you should not have any rust problem but you could if you don't dry everything well.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 12:55:21 AM »
Logan, also make sure to dry out your wiring, this can cause corrosion and shorts.  There are a few good sealers from 3M, check with your local glass shop, a tube runs about $9.00 and it goes a very long way.  If your windshield gasket is in bad shape it should be replaced but if your not careful you can break your windshield taking it out and reinstalling it.  If your not sure have a reputable glass shop remove it and install it with the new gasket with the understanding if they break the glass they have to replace it and the mfg fund has some new glass if I remember around $450.00 or so.  Good Luck extra dry in Arizona.
Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 08:36:26 AM »
The small cover is a good idea.  I don't really want to mess with taking the whole windshield out, so I think I will try a sealer and see how that works.  Thanks for the advice.

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 04:12:05 PM »
I've been in that same garage-less position and had good luck using the car cover as the first layer to protect the paint and then getting one of those big blue tarps from Harbor freight.   Double it up, very important to prevent condensation from seeping through the cloth cover, and secure it to the car on the bumper corners with some spring clamps so it doesn't blow off.   In the rainy season it's a hastle but will protect your investment..   

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 12:01:17 AM »
The sealer, by the way, seemed to work for the windshield.  But I was driving in the rain the other day and noticed a drip from the passenger vent wing.  I guess I would have to replace the rubber to fix that?

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 07:04:46 PM »
vent window fix:   Take masking tape and put around the edges of the window on inside glass and bottom of glass piece wherever the water is coming in, usually around vertical post and horizontal on bottom of rubber.   Then put a thin film of grease over the tape.  cover glass with tape and grease wherever the silicone will touch.    Find black silicone and build up the inside of the vent rubber, being sure to clean it with alcohol first.   Then shut the wind wing enough to come in contact with the silicone evenly.  Don't completely close the window or the silicone will all squeeze out.   This trick has worked well on the wind wings and on a trunk that leaked.   Then trim off excess silicone after it dries.  Problem solved.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 10:34:31 PM »
iWE HAVE REPLACED A FEW WINDSHIELDS AND IN THE PROCESS HAVE FOUND 3 PRIMARY AREAS FOR LEAKS. (1) THE BOTTOM OUTSIDE CORNERS OF THE WINDSHIELD FRAME HAS A HOLE( RECTANGLER) IN EACH CORNER THAT SOME CARS HAVE HAD A PLUMMERS TYPE PUTTY STUFFED INTO THE HOLES, THRU THE YEARS IT HAS DRIED AND NO LONGER EFFECTIVE. (2) THE TOP OF THE HOOD HINGE BRACKET WHERE IT ATTACHES TO THE COWL , THERE WAS THE SAME TYPE OF PUTTY ALONG THE TOP EDGE.i STILL HAVE A 5# BLOCK OF THE STUFF, MADE BY 3m , (3) THE DOOR WEATHER STRIP , MISSING OR NOT INSTALLED PER DIRECTIONS , THE WATER WILL!!! RUN DOWN THE PILLAR AND UNDER THE SILL PLATE THEN ON THE FLOOR. SUPER SORRY YOU DON'T HAVE A DRY AREA FOR YOUR DRAGON THE  RUBBER WEATHER TRIM DOES NOT HAVE A GOOD SEAL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. i'M HOPING TO HAVE MY 53 GREEN ALL VINYL DRAGON TO THE SAN DIEGO MEET. BONHAM HAS SEEN IT AND WANTS US TO SHOW IT WITH THE NEW INTERIOR FINISHED.

dusty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 10:47:51 PM »
IF YOU USE A HARBOR FREIGHT TARP BE PREPARED TO HAVE YOUR PAINT SCRATCHED UP  DUE TO THE WIND BLOWING SAND /DIRT UP UNDER IT IN THE WIND. ALSO THE MORNING DEW WILL CONDENSATE UNDER THE TARP ADDING TO THE PROBLEM. STAY WITH A BREATHABLE COVER AND FIX THE LEAKS. ONE OF MY 54S IS STILL IN GRANITE FALLS TX. ANDTHE LAST ONE WAS IN PEORIA AZ.NOW ON THE WAY EAST.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 09:08:44 PM »
I've dont all the recommended fixes except for the vent windows, which I will be trying soon.  It's getting better, but not totally leak proof.  By they way, I LOVE the all vinyl dragons.  There was a green and white one at Kerville last year, and it was beautiful.  Would love to see more, even pictures if you have them.

dusty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 11:30:44 PM »
If someone can instruct me on attaching a pic i'll do it