Author Topic: Going to Check out a '51 Sedan for possible purchase... any HINTS ?  (Read 2296 times)

CadMan

:)

Dear K-F fans,
I will be looking at a 1951 Kaiser Sedan in the next few days for possible purchase.

Although I am familiar with many old cars  Kaisers are NEW GROUND, so to speak for me.

The car has been indoor stored until last week, was last registered about ten years ago.

Looks like it may have been repainted once and appears pretty solid.

Are there any typical rust areas on these models ? or other potential problem areas ?

I seem to remember it having a some what narrow trim around the bottom, in my brief initial look.

It was missing a piece by the RH rear wheel are these hard to get ?

This car also has the GM Hydromatic trans... any way to check this out ?

Just wondering what I can expect from these cars.

Thank you for your help.

John B
Western Mass
tailfinsforver@berkshire.rr.com

stacks

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Going to Check out a '51 Sedan for possible purchase... any HINTS ?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 10:20:25 AM »
John, I recently went through the same thing.  I later found four patches in the floorboards, lots of rust holes in the front splash pan, and some poor fender repair.  All in all I can fix or replace the problem areas and make this a great car.  Parts are readily available and the club members have been helpful when I asked specific questions.  These are great cars, and really get a lot of attention when you drive them around.

The narrow trim on your 51 tells me that it is a "Special" model.  That is the base model, and worth a little less than the "Deluxe".  Mine is also a Special, but the trim has been upgraded to the wide style.

Let us know what you decide.  If you choose not to buy the car please let us know about it so we can spread the word.

Jack

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Going to Check out a '51 Sedan for possible purchase... any HINTS ?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 11:32:25 PM »
Hi,

I wasn't sure what you meant by "check out" the transmission, but the hydramatic is correct for a Kaiser.