Author Topic: electric fule pump  (Read 4700 times)

Harry

• View Profile
    • Email
electric fule pump
« on: April 05, 2011, 07:01:51 PM »
I have a 48 Kaiser, the electric fule pump which the first owner installed is going bad, have bought a  Airetex E8011 asked the clerk if I should have a pressure regulator, well his eyes crossed and he looked like a UFO had  Landed, the other guy said you needed 12 volts, the pump has a min pressure of 5 lbs, max of 8 lbs. do I need the regulator if so does anyone have a part number or name, also is the E8011 the right pump?. Thanks, Harry

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: electric fule pump
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:09:31 PM »
The E8011 is the standard 6-volt fuel pump available from NAPA, Carquest, etc. However, it must be wired as negative ground to function.
Purolatot makes a pressure regulator, an example on ebay now:
Ihttp://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_adv=1&_nkw=Purolator+Pro-Fuel&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_okw=Purolator+Pro-Fuel&_oexkw=&_adv=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=Zip+code&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

There are other pumps on ebay but you must be very very careful NOT to get the type that will not let the mechanical pump through. Usually it will say that in the description. 
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 06:39:53 AM »
After talking to both NAPA and Carter re fuel pumps for my 161 CI engine in my '51 HJ, they recommended the P4259.  It can be used as a flow thru the existing mechanical pump.  It operates at 3-5 psi; can be either positive or negative ground; no pressure regulator required.  $72 at my local NAPA.  I recommend that one call to the tech help at Carter for additional info and suggestions.

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:59:01 PM »
I can certainly concur with the Carter P4259 and have one mounted on my '54 Manhattan. Very quiet durable pump.  As you say, positive or negative ground. Got mine, as you did, at NAPA.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:55:02 PM »
Where do you install it?  I'm getting ready for another 100+ degree Texas summer, and am about convinced that a an electric fuel pump would be better than pouring bottles of water on the fuel pump and spraying starting fluid into the carb!

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 06:54:55 AM »
These pumps are pusher pumps therefore they must be mounted as close to tank as possible.  Put a filter between tank and pump for pump protection.  Carter also recommends a bypass around the pump with a check valve--get with them for details.

Harry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:02:45 PM »
Want to thank everyone for all the help, have installed pump and all seems well, almost glad the old pump quit after seeing how the other guy had it wired up, suprise it didn't catch fire, thanks again. Harry

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 12:01:21 AM »
I am VERY interested in performing this modification as well due to several incidents of being stranded with the dreaded Vapor Lock. (Not fun in Downtown Seattle on those hills).  Pictures would be nice, if possible. I know they are a hassle to post here, but I would GREATLY appreciate it.   ;D
Photo of our '51 at the National in Portland 2008. Vapor locked in 90° temps.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 05:18:51 PM »
Terry T., do you have a good number for Carter?  I seemed to get an international website looking online.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 08:39:16 PM »
I ordered the part from NAPA, and it should be here Saturday.  What else to I need to set up a bypass with a check valve.  Never done this sort of thing and need some guidance.  THanks.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 03:13:39 PM »
I would also appreciate pictures if anyone has any of the pump set-up, mounting, wiring, etc.  THanks.

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 08:15:41 PM »
I too would like any info (pictures, literature) on installing an electric fuel pump in order to help those hard starts.
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1955 Packard Clipper Custom