Author Topic: Brake Fuild  (Read 1460 times)

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
Brake Fuild
« on: May 20, 2011, 11:06:44 PM »
Question: If you had all new parts in the brake system, what fluid would you put in it? I just finished putting all new lines in my Henry J. I had already put new master cylinder and wheel cylinders in it. Now is th time to put fluid in and bleed the system.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Brake Fuild
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 08:57:28 AM »
Use a good DOT3 fluid. I've not had good luck...nor do I know anyone who has...when using DOT5 (silicone) fluid. The silicone fluid works best with tight tolerances...something older car systems just don't have.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brake Fuild
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
I've used the silicone (Dot 5) for 16 years now. Works fine, doesn't evaporate and the wheel cylinders don't stick as much. Vern Hunt recommended it to us years ago. However, I have heard others tell horror stories about it!  Anyway, in AZ where you are, the temperature changes aren't as extreme and the humidity is very low so cylinders corroding may be a non-issue there as it is with my Dad's J (in Tucson).  Here in lovely MN where there are huge temp swings and humidity swings, stuck cylinders are a big problem, especially with cars that are not driven very often.
The Dot 3 is a lot less expensive too so if you use it, I'd say do so. The thing you have to be careful about is that in a ventilated system, which was used in the older cars, KFs included, is that the fluid evaporates over time so you have to check the levels and keep filling it. Not really a big deal in my opinion but on a J, the master cylinder is not easy to get at to fill. I think you have one of those Darwin remote fillers correct? My '52 Vagabond has one and that works really slick but my other two cars don't have a remote filler so what I did was put a very thin layer of grease on the threads of the master cylinder cap, the put it on only finger-tight.  This makes it much easier to fill the cylinder when I need to.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios