Author Topic: Low oil pressure cause found  (Read 2690 times)

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
Low oil pressure cause found
« on: May 07, 2011, 05:11:46 PM »
Took my engine completely apart today and plasti gauged the bearing clearances. I will have to have the crankshaft polished and all the bearings replaced. The cause of the low oil pressure was the rear cam bearing was not installed in the correct place causing the oil gallery groove in the block to be completely open. I could put a screwdriver through the oil pressure sender unit hole and not hit metal with the cam out. The builder was a bone head. At least I am happy the cause is solved and I was smart enough to tear it down before I blew it up. Gotta get it running for the national.

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Low oil pressure cause found
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 11:47:58 PM »
Glad to hear you caught it in time!
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1955 Packard Clipper Custom

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 10:14:05 AM »
Took my crankshaft to the grinding shop and they were able to clean it up just by polishing. I had to take a torch and heat up the timing chain sprocket to get it off while taking the engine apart, so I had them polish the crank snout at the same time. It should be easier to remove if I ever do it again. $25.00 seems like a bargain for the whole thing, and that included cleaning.  I ordered rod,main and cam bearings from Rockauto. $144.00 delivered to my door was the best price I could find. A complete Fel-pro engine gasket set from Autozone was $79.99    I am excited to get the engine assembled and  back in the car for some weekend fun and a couple days at the San Diego national.

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:23:55 AM »
That sounds like a great deal, very nice. Do you have any pictures of your car? I'd love to see them..
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 12:49:12 PM »
ttp://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k33/camandlexy/Dragon2010.jpg[/IMG]

Here it is

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 03:38:12 PM »
Beautiful Dragon, I've always wanted one myself. Looking forward to seeing it at nationals.
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 05:50:52 PM »
Thank you, It has plenty of warts but I am still proud to own it and wont be afraid to have Kaiser experts pick it apart. That's how you find out what is right and wrong about it. This car is so close to original that I want to improve on its originality. I already know the vinyl top and the cloth seat/door panel inserts are wrong, but that's about it best I can tell.

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 06:53:42 PM »
Is the top a wrong material or wrong color?
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 08:52:02 PM »
If they are wrong, you should be able to get both from SMS in Oregon http://www.smsautofabrics.com/home.php.  My Dragon has correct black vinyl inside all in excellent condition except for package shelf, but the top vinyl was removed at one point and the Laguna cloth inserts were replaced with plain white vinyl--not nearly as nice.  In several years I plan to do a partial restoration including paint, chrome and interior, and at that time I will plan to order bambu vinyl for top and package shelf and Laguna cloth for seat inserts and door panes from SMS.  That is a good-looking car you have, and good luck with the reassembly.