Author Topic: Automatic Transmission Problem  (Read 2296 times)

glen

• View Profile
    • Email
Automatic Transmission Problem
« on: June 26, 2011, 11:52:56 AM »
Well, so far this year hasn`t been a good year mechanically for my Kaisers.
I`m still working on the manifold and gas tank problem on my `51 and now the `53 Dragon decided it needed a holiday and shut down !!

OK, I had not started the Dragon for a month or so but it fired right up. So far so good.
Backed out of my parking space (after a 5 minute warm up) with no problems.
Put it in Drive and slowly pulled away.
Everything was good for about 20 ft. when it felt that it slammed into Park (Reverse) and would not go forward.
Put it in Reverse and backing up was fine.
Tried again to go forward and Bang the same problem.
Slips into Neutral just fine and same with all the other Forward gears but just won`t go more than 20 feet or so ?!
So I backed it into my Spot and now await your expert advise.
(maybe it`s been sitting too long, fluid level, ?)
Thanks,
glenn 

Report to moderator    99.233.195.213 

Pages: [1]    Reply  |  Notify  |  Add poll  |  Send this topic  |  Print   

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Automatic Transmission Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 10:13:44 PM »
Sounds like an oil flow problem, likely a restriction in the line that keeps you from going very far. I have seen somewhat newer cars with Xmission filters have this issue when the fluid had gotten very dirty. When the engine was turned off the oil would flow back, and when started it would go forward for a while until the crud blocked the flow again. As Kaisers didn't have filters, it must be some point in the circuit clogging. When stopped for a time the blockage eases and pressure can build up so it will run for a short distance until the flow is too constricted again. Almost any mechanical issue should result in things simply working or not, rather than working for a short time. When was the fluid last changed?

glen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 03:49:25 PM »
Thank you for the info.
I`ll pass this along to my mechanic.
I have don`t think the tranny fluid has been changed since I had the car (4 years).

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 01:03:50 PM »
I started another thread several days ago with the same issue. My 54 will back up all day long but will only go forward about a car length before acting like it's been shifted into park. I pulled the drums expecting brake issues but that was not the case. I also dropped the driveshaft and the issue persists. I mentioned this to a few folks at the national meet and the reply was that something...probably a pin has slipped in the pinion (rear end). The cure is to remove the rear axle cover and inspect/fix what's a wrong. My problem now is that the car is backed into the last bay in my shop so getting it out will no doubt be a herculean effort...

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 08:13:39 PM »
Jim: It sounds like you need at least 1 set of tire dollies. You can get these at Harbor Freight stores or your traveling Chinese tool show. 1 set is 2 shallow tubs each supported by 4 - 3 inch casters. You jack up the axle and put a unit under each wheel. If you have a good floor jack you can use it on the other end of the car in lieu of a 2nd pair of dollies. I bought 2 sets about 4 years ago and thought I would use them once but I have ended using them about 8 times - mostly on other people's problems.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

glen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 04:53:12 AM »
Thank you for the additional info.
My `51 is still in my friend`s garage being repaired and as soon as that is done, I`ll (this should be fun) start my Dragon up and drive 'backwards' for a mile or so to his place !!

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 07:15:50 PM »
The tire dollies are a good idea but don't get them from Harbor Freight.  I bought a set from them to move my '41 Stude pickup which is not very heavy.  The dollies bent when trying to roll them over smooth cement and I got my money back quickly.  Buy some better quality ones.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom