Author Topic: Engine Overhaul  (Read 1708 times)

johny

• View Profile
    • Email
Engine Overhaul
« on: August 29, 2011, 05:17:53 PM »
I have a '49 kaiser special with the original engine and a considerable amount of blow-by. If I had a complete engine overhaul how much of the blow by can I count on being eliminated, 100%?

Thanks,

Johny

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Engine Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 10:12:06 PM »
At first you will have a small amount until the rings are seated, after that no blow by. You should almost have a vacuum.

johny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 05:27:37 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts and comments.  I now have more hope than I did yesterday that I can get rid of the blow by. 

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:47:24 AM »
I had my 49 Kaiser engine rebuilt by a fellow 1/4 mile away that has rebuilt many a Massey tractor Continental, and many other engines. Entire parts (including new pistons of the right oversize, valves etc) for a Continental were almost entirely on the shelf ready at a small parts place 7 miles away in a small village. Massey-Fergusons were very popular here! I wish I could get into the business of subcontracting engine work through him, because it wasn't an expensive job at all, compared to what some of you seem to have paid.

It went from an engine that used 1 quart of oil per hour of highway driving, MOSTLY to blowby, and not smoking very much, to a very tight and clean engine.
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

johny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 05:40:50 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging news.  Wish I lived a couple of thousand miles closer to your mechanic.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 05:01:11 AM »
And don't forget the customs paperwork, import duty and freight cost from where you are to places lilke Ohio, Kentucky, Missouri and Georgia.   It is not the first time that a truly good price for very good workmanship becomes impractical for others.