Author Topic: Underhood insulation  (Read 2046 times)

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Underhood insulation
« on: October 02, 2011, 11:34:07 PM »
As the completion of the 6 year 53 Manhattan project nears(hopefully) I am looking at the underside of the hood about to be painted and recalling that originally there was an insulating pad of some sort cemented to it. Cannot recall if it was just fiberglass, as I later replaced it with, or some sort of faced material. Anyone know the material and thickness of the original pad?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Underhood insulation
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 10:09:07 AM »
I am not sure what they had, but it didn't last long.  Normally, judging does not consider hood insullation.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 07:33:56 PM »
Originally, there was an open faced fibreglass mat that was cemented to the underside. It would have been a bit over an inch thick.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 04:47:52 AM by joefrazer »

Dragon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 09:22:09 PM »
They do judge this at Nationals.  I have been knocked for this several times.  I got some figerglas at Lowes and glued it in.  Judging accepted this.
KFOCI since 1968
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1953 Dragon
1951 Dragon
1951 Business Coupe
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1936 International Tow Truck

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Underhood insulation and JUDGING
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 06:07:46 AM »
As one can see from replies #1 and #3 that there is some confusing on what is correct for judging.
With no details written down on judging sheets, this type of confusion not only continues, but can also shun some owners away from getting their cars judged.
This continues to be a point of discussion at various meets with some saying that if we cannot judge correctly and fairly, do not judge at all.

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 12:00:16 AM »
Mine has a manila colored (like the manila envelopes) open fiberglass mat cemented to the underside of the hood, as mentioned above.  I seem to remember that GM used this same sort of material on their cars, at least I think I remember my parent's 1968 Olds Delta 88 had that.  It has been awhile....
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »
That is the correct color.  I actually still have some of the original material under my hood, although most of it has fallen out.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 09:21:30 AM »
The judging sheet has a specific entry for underhood insulation. It is a judged item.