Author Topic: fuel pump  (Read 3947 times)

John M.

• View Profile
    • Email
fuel pump
« on: September 28, 2011, 09:31:28 AM »
     Trying to get '52 allstate running. Dual action fuel pump is shot. Can I replace it with a single action pump?
Also, can't remember where clutch assist spring attaches. Photo in manual appears to show it attached to pedal cross shaft, but where does it attach behind there?
     What's a good weight oil to use on rebuilt 4 cyl. engine? Would regular 10w-30 be fine? John M.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 03:21:06 PM »
Yes, you can use a single action pump. You'll just need to find another vacuum source for the wipers.
The clutch assist return spring mounts on the outboard side of the pedal, over a stud that sticks out. The rear part of the spring mounts in a slot on the frame.
If the engine is a fresh rebuild, use 10W-30. Quaker State has the most zinc in it, which will help the engine's internals. Most folks use 30W on broken in engines to help keep the oil pressure up.
Hope this helps!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 05:05:25 PM »
If the car is a '52, there may be two clutch pedal springs. The one joefrazer mentioned is on the outside of the frame, just under the driver's door.  On a '51 J it looks like this -

On the later cars, the end of the spring goes through a hole in a tab instead of hooking in a groove as in the photo. It has 29 coils.
Later on KF added the 2nd one called the "clutch pedal assist spring." It has 23 coils, one end hooks onto the clutch pedal adjusting rod as in this photo -

The other end hooks onto the pin that mounts the parking brake cable equalizer arm to the cross member.

The cars that had the single action fuel pumps had a piece of 1/4" tubing which came out of the manifold (where the line connects to it on the dual action). You simply connect the vacuum hose from the wiper motor to that piece of tubing to get the vacuum to run the wipers.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 09:13:42 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

John M.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:09:17 PM »
     Gentlemen, both replies very helpful. I should have been clearer about spring. Was referring to smaller inboard spring.(bigger outboard spring is broken- anyone know of a replacement?) The photo really helps show fitted position. 
 Re: fuel pump. I see tubing that goes from lower chamber of pump to in. manifold. So  I'll connect tubing from mani. to wiper hose when I replace dual act. with single action pump.
    Thanks for your valuable advice.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 10:59:29 PM »
I found some springs at my local Axeman that I thought would make a great replacement. I was lucky enough to find an original before I had to try one of the Axeman replacements. Here's what they look like in comparison -

The one top is a rusted out, stretched out one I had to replace. The one in the middle is the good one I found to replace it. The one on the bottom, the new looking one, is the one from Axeman.  You may be able to find it at a hardware store as well.
Here's a photo of  the first one that broke on me. This will help you get an idea of dimenions -

« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 09:06:56 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 09:20:36 AM »
A few thoughts on fuel pumps.The diaphram is the most important consideration. The diaphram on a NOS unit is most cretainly over the hill and with the advent of gasohol most all of the units that have been floating around for some time are probably not up to the job. It won't help to ask most vendors. They really don't know and have been known to stray from the truth. So what do you do? Go to a trusted vendor... and good luck finding them.

I have trust in these folks. You might give them a call.

http://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/willys-jeep-fuel-pumps-filters-parts-accessories
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 09:34:57 AM »
I know most folks will have some problem with the following but it is my based on my own experience. The dual action vacuum pump is an inline booster to the intake vacuum and does indeed help the wipers. It is  a wimpy setup even so assisted . I use Rainx liberaly on the winsheild.
I had a failure of a dual action pump that bypassed the intake vacuum directly to the crankcase. I found out about it only after I blew the engine. I now only run single action pumps. I pull the dual and replace it with a single, relying on Rainx and the direct connection to the intake vacuum.

Also,I wish I had a part number, one of the Willys pumps has a primer lever on it's base, but is otherwise identical in every way to the KF.That comes in handy if you find yourself on the side of the road with the top off the carb trying to see if the float valve works.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 12:46:59 PM »
No sense in buying a new pump--get the readily available rebuild kits that have modern day  diaphrams.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 04:57:35 AM »
I agree with Terry on the rebuild rather than NOS.  You don't know how long the NOS sat since there are no easy to follow date codes on the castings.  Older NOS parts do not have internal components compatiable with today's gasoline.

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »
I know most folks will have some problem with the following but it is my based on my own experience. The dual action vacuum pump is an inline booster to the intake vacuum and does indeed help the wipers. It is  a wimpy setup even so assisted . I use Rainx liberaly on the winsheild.
I had a failure of a dual action pump that bypassed the intake vacuum directly to the crankcase. I found out about it only after I blew the engine. I now only run single action pumps. I pull the dual and replace it with a single, relying on Rainx and the direct connection to the intake vacuum.

Also,I wish I had a part number, one of the Willys pumps has a primer lever on it's base, but is otherwise identical in every way to the KF.That comes in handy if you find yourself on the side of the road with the top off the carb trying to see if the float valve works.

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 11:44:27 AM »
For what its worth the jeeps had a priming arm on the pump,at least the military's did.