Author Topic: 6 V  (Read 1484 times)

ken taplin

• View Profile
    • Email
6 V
« on: January 14, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
I recently read someones account of a trip and they mentioned carrying a 12V battery pack to charge their laptop and iphone. I don't have a laptop or iphone but I have dicovered that my cell phone and GPS are quite happy being charged at 6V.

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 6 V
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 05:11:24 PM »
That's good information to know.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 09:59:45 PM »
Newer cell phones operate at 5.7 volts; some older ones are at 3.7 Consequently 6V is very suitable for charging them, actually  more so than 12. Chargers for a particular phone will output an appropriate voltage, and the input is less significant. As long as the input voltage is higher than the intended output, it will generally work.

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 01:40:11 AM »
this works with a positive ground system ?
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 10:14:28 PM »
Interesting point about positive ground-suppose that would depend on how the charger is set up. I was thinking of adapting the plug to reverse the polarity so it would be the expected for the charger. Might not be necessary for some more sophisticated ones, but wouldn't hurt.

ken taplin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 04:00:13 PM »
If you get a power point from a marine supply store they have two wires (case not grounded) so it's a simple matter to wire it what ever polarity you want. Also that makes a handy place to plug in a maintainence charger if you have one that plugs into a power point.