Author Topic: Henry J convertible on eBay  (Read 2022 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Henry J convertible on eBay
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:34:40 PM »
Does anyone know anything about the convertible that is on eBay?  It is in New York and looks to have had much nice work done to it but it appears to need a complete restoration.  It has a 1946 Cadillac flat head engine.  Extremely heavy!  It doesn't appear to be one of a few done by a K-F dealer when they were new.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

StillOutThere

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Henry J convertible on eBay
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 06:47:52 PM »
This car was advertised somewhere on the internet about 18 months ago and I had an exchange with the sellers.  Car was a custom build, not a dealer conversion.  Agree the flathead Cad is too heavy and too antiquated for the car.   An early Cad 331" overhead would have been (or still could be) a nice choice for something period correct though.  You can see the car was originally a burgundy red under the hood.   During its many years in storage the grandson of the owner got into a can of black paint and started to make the two tone car monotone black and the results from this child are still obvious.  My conversation did go far enough to learn that it sounded like a restorable car and I think the body work was well done.  However some pics showed the engine installation was never completed in my opinion.  I still have a few pics.  For me the price was set too high at that time especially considering transportation costs then to be added on. 
Hope someone bring it home and puts it back on the road and posts pictures here!
'34 Terraplane convertible coupe
'51 Kaiser Deluxe coupe
'52 Spohn Palos cabriolet
'53 Nash-Healey
'57 Chrysler 300C convertible

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Henry J convertible on eBay
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
There's a ways to go to get that car working properly. We once put a Chevy 283 in a Henry J. The stock coil springs would not support even a smallblock V8 so if the originals are still in it, they'll need to be changed, if not the entire frame. The pictures indicate the original radiator is still in place. That little radiator will not cool a larger V8 engine. We replaced the radiator because the original would not even cool a smallblock.  If the car still has the original rearend, that will have to go too as the stock rearend is geared too low for most V8s.  All of these things could be corrected but it would take some work. If someone is willing to do all of that, it would make a unique ride that's for sure.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios