Author Topic: 55 Manhattan with SC poor performance  (Read 2408 times)

rencech

• View Profile
    • Email
55 Manhattan with SC poor performance
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:14:31 PM »
Hello again,
My 55 was just tuned up, new plugs, points and condenser and starts great.  I have taken it out twice and drive about a mile and the car starts to hesitate almost like it is not getting gas and then stalls.  I let it sit and it will start and run to limp home but poorly, one of the local guys suggested taking the hose between the box and the blower off, i did that and the car whines but is running well.  So the trick question any ideas.

Thanks - Chris Rence

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 55 Manhattan with SC poor performance
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:47:15 PM »
Sounds like a fuel starving problem. When the supercharger is working it puts the air box and carb under pressure up to 4 lbs.The fuel pump has to overcome this to get fuel in the carb.Since the car runs OK without the SC your fuel pressure is probably below specs.This could be any of the usual problems,collapsed rubber fuel line,rust in tank or lines,plugged filter etc.The SC fuel pump is supposed to increase fuel pressure in proportion to SC boost. You probably need to check your fuel pressure. The Kaiser Supercharger manual tells how to do this. I have one but will have to look for it tomorrow. Let me know you make out.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
The manual, at least for 53 non supercharged, asks you to hook up a fuel pressure guage.  I've never been able to find one of these.  Does anybody know where to get one, or an alternative method to check the fuel pressure?

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 09:36:46 PM »
I have a vacuum gauge I bought in antiquity on which the scale reads both vacuum and  negative vacuum (pressure) I Used to use it to measure fuel pump pressure and worked well. You might check your vacuum gauge to see if it is usable in that way.

Also, fuel pump specs include not only output pressure but also vacuum on the intake side, and insufficiency there would also result in starvation issues.

kfsteve391

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »
Contact Vern Ludwick in San Luis Obispo, Ca. His phone number is: 805-543-0754. He can give you detailed information on what to do to improve the performance of your car. He has a 54 Kaiser with the super charger. It is one of the few that runs like it should.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 11:39:37 PM »
Does this look like a '55 Manhattan Door Post Plate??
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

R-Sargent

• 51 Kaiser 2dr sedan , 51 Frazer Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 12:48:28 AM »
Hi , yes that would be a 55 kaiser manhattan 2dr car #18.   The 55 4dr i have is 51367-005009