Author Topic: Fuel Line  (Read 2097 times)

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Fuel Line
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:39:45 PM »
I am in the process of putting the electric Carter fuel pump above the left rear wheel on my '51
Kaiser. What size is the rubber fuel line (5/16 ?) that I need to use with the pump and what did
you use to cut the steel line ? A hack saw may cause a spark which could be dangerous.

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fuel Line
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:45:59 PM »
A wheel type tubing cutter cuts steel line nicely. Better do this outdoors dangerous gas fumes. Most Kaiser tanks have a drain plug but it might break off due to old age ,rust etc. Have a large pan to catch the gas and a fire extinguisher !!  Most electric fuel pumps need to be mounted low so the fuel will run downhill to them. They are primarily push pumps more than suction pumps.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 08:40:13 AM »
It must be mounted below the fuel level in the tank. It will work for a short period of time otherwise but the impeller will wear rapidly from dry starting.I had to put a fuel pressure regulator in line to avoid flooding. I suggest you put a clear fuel filer before the pump.
 Be sure to use the vibration washer/grommet mounts. It can be noisy.

Good luck.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:30:19 PM »
Thanks for the answers. The instructions leave a lot to be desired. They show a in-line fuse, but
no amp rating. They have a wiring diagram, but do not list the gauge or the current draw. They
do say a fuel filter must be before the pump to not void the warranty. The line connections say
3/8 hose for the pump fittings, but I thought the Kaiser was 5/16. Never easy is it? Where did
everyone mount the on/off switch? There is a toggle switch on either side of the steering
column, but what are these for? I was thinking of using one of these as there are no other holes
in the dash for the pump switch.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:44:54 AM »
The under dash switch on the left side of the steering wheel was for the under dash lights and the switch on the right was usually for the fog lights

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 04:16:24 PM »
Rubber fuel lines should be 5/16."   Thought the pump might come with adapters for inlet and outlet.  Suggest a fuel filter before the pump if possible. 
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan