Author Topic: Restoration of a 1954 Kaiser Manhattan.  (Read 3471 times)

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
Restoration of a 1954 Kaiser Manhattan.
« on: March 13, 2009, 11:02:46 PM »
Hi All,
We've about completed the Kaiser restoration.  All that is left is some transmission work, (it shifts hard) weather striping on the doors and a final clean up/buffing and she will be ready to drive/show.  If you would like to see some pictures go to: http://picasaweb.google.com/Edwall.Reunion/Kaiser#

I will upload the earlier construction and pre restoration photos in the album as well and some final out door photos when she is all cleaned up and we've got the story boards complete.  This all will have to wait till later.  We are calling it "Once in a blue moon"

This has been a big project and if it weren't for Bill Holden and his secret Lab crew it never would have turned out so nice.
Happy trails, John

carsngolf

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Restoration of a 1954 Kaiser Manhattan.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 09:28:32 AM »
Absolutely marvelous!  Congratulations on a work of art.  K-F fans owe you a debt of gratitude for saving the car and giving young people a chance to see what they missed when K-F went out of business.
Jerry Weiland

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:35:43 PM »
Good job on that '54 Kaiser--it looks fantastic!  The upholstery looks original, is there somebody making upholstery to original specifications?

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 11:45:49 PM »
Gee, it looks too beautiful to drive!  You did a super job and have good reason to be very proud.  Now it is getting time for that first trophy.  Congratulations!!!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Fabian 51K

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 01:52:17 PM »
Where did you get the materials for the seats and door pannels? Who do your interor work? I have been reading about the products SMS Auto is making but have not recieved my samples yet. Share your knowledge, that is what the forum is for.

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 12:33:31 AM »
The vinyl and upholstery came from SMS in Canby, OR    info@smsautofabrics.com The seat fabric isn't loop pile like the original however, this is as close as we could get it.  A-OK upholstery in Pendleton, OR was the shop where the work was done.

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 09:41:10 AM »
Wow, the door panels are really nice, thanks for the post to who made them. Where did you have the chrome done at? Great job, Is the paint for the engine the original color? Thanks for posting this. I'll post pictures as I do a cosmetic job on my 53 manhattan. Hope to see you 54 in person.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 10:39:52 AM »
I took a look at your pictures earlier, but I never made it through all of them because I had to get to work...

After viewing all of them, you owe me one new pair of pants!

HOT DAMN!
KFOCI #9798

Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 12:55:53 PM »
Hello
   There is a transmission additive called Lucas Tranmission Fix, it is good for automatics and standard transmissions. I have no idea how it works but it sure does the job on hard shifting and oil leaks and on the label it says it won't void a new car warranty. I have used it on my son's Explorer and a friends Civic two years ago and they are still on the road. So for a couple of dollars give it a try it won't hurt anything and it might solve the problem.
    Roger

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 02:36:18 PM »
The chrome and stainless polishing (I did a some polishing in my shop too) was done by Victor Van der Star in Oregon City, OR E-mail:starbrightplating@hotmail.com  Victor is a master at his work and I am satisfied with his work.  If I had it to do over I would have spent more time cleaning the parts before I gave them to Victor, so when Victor plated them they would have been flawless but that was my oops. The engine paint is as close as we could determine, "eyeball" I used Eastwood engine paint.  Thanks for all the kind words.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:39:14 PM by jsgmpeek »