Author Topic: Kaiser wiper arm asssembly  (Read 1853 times)

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Kaiser wiper arm asssembly
« on: November 22, 2012, 11:37:27 PM »
I noticed today that the passenger wiper arm on my '51 kaiser was loose. The knurled piece that
fits into the wiper arm was very worn. This is the piece bolted on the cowl that connects to the
wiper assembly inside the car. The knurled piece appears to be fitted on a shaft and is worn out.
Does anyone have a this part and it this part the same for both sides of the car?

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Kaiser wiper arm asssembly
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 08:48:31 AM »
On all 51-5 full size Kaisers, the wiper transmissions differ between electric and vacuum wipers. You'll need to know which you have as they do not interchange.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 12:24:36 PM by joefrazer »

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 11:56:48 AM »
joefrazer, I have the electric wiper assembly. I didn't realize these were different.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 10:08:40 PM »
This happened to me in antiquity, when I was a penniless graduate student. Seems I pulled the knurled hub off of the shaft, put another one over, and ran a small set screw into it to make sure it didn't come off (the wiper arm body keeps the screw from coming out.) It is still in place and working. Can't remember exactly where I got the spare knurled piece-almost seems it came with the wiper arms at the time. 

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 09:59:13 AM »
In the late 80's i had this happen and was able to buy the part at the local parts store . It was made by Anco and like the previous post was able to lock it on with the provided set screw . It seems i filed the end of the shaft a small amount before pulling the old splined post off .The new one slipped on and the set screw tightened . It is still on the car and worked fine .

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »
dpledger, NAPA no longer lists wiper parts for KF products, so I did what you suggested. I took a
cereal box and flattened it and then cut a hole in the middle just big enough to let the wiper arm
knurled head show through. This was to protect the paint from scratches . Then I used a 1/4 drill with
a 3/32 drill bit and drilled through the knurled piece and the wiper shaft and put a pin in it. When the
wiper arm is on it covers the pin so it cannot be seen. This fix made the wiper assembly tight
once again. Use a good drill bit and it is easy to do. Thanks for the idea. This forum is how we all
can keep our cars on the road with relatively low repair costs.