Author Topic: SPRAY-ON CHROME  (Read 1351 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
SPRAY-ON CHROME
« on: December 28, 2012, 04:35:30 PM »

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SPRAY-ON CHROME
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 06:21:39 PM »
There has been much discussion about "spray-on" chrome in the last 2-3 days on the Nash Club MOL site.  On this particular one, if you go to the website mentioned, it has not been updated since 2010 and the website is unfinished and gets you nowhere. There are several of these type places out there now and even Eastwood has something similar. One of the responses mentioned a  Alsa MirraChrome maybe in the Seattle area?
From the Nash disciussion:  "searched this on the web.  At   ridelust.com  it was reported that the German company seemed to be out of business.  It recommended trying (if you were interested) sprayonchrome.com    or     alsacorp.com   to see what they had.  I looked up each of these.  Sprayonchrome.com   seemed interested in selling you a franchise, while alsacorp.com    would sell you a system starting at $400.  I didn't research it any more.  It makes me leery to learn that the Germany guys went out of business."  I looked up a couple of these places and one was looking for distributors and the other showed a 3 or 4 step process where you purchase a "kit" to do small parts.  I've only seen one chrome substitute a couple years ago on the grille of a '55 Studebaker and it was "odd" in that it was not nearly as bright as chrome and depending on the light it almost looked black...I do not know what process was used, but of course a '55 Studebaker grille is massive.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SPRAY-ON CHROME
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 07:47:37 PM »
Spray-on may look good at the start but weathers very quickly.  Only the highly toxic Hexvalent Chrome is suitable for external auto grade finish uses and it can only be applied by electroplate rather than spray.  I am not surprised to read that a company in Germany is no longer in business.  The people in what once was East Germany tried this kind of things a couple of times but the materials and process were illegal per European Union enviornmental regulations that were enacted about 8 years ago.

What are the ingredients in the spray on stuff?  It would be interesting to see what's going on here.