Author Topic: need some advice on super charged 226 engine running rich  (Read 975 times)

willys56

• View Profile
    • Email
need some advice on super charged 226 engine running rich
« on: April 25, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »
 i have a 56 willys wagon with a 226  cont engine it had a 2 bbl intake when i got already on it  i found a super charger from a manhatten  have it on there  with out the bonnet on it yet  the problem i have even before i put the charger on it  it  ran rich even with the org  2 bbl carb  on it  the prev. owner  they said had the engine rebuilt  it  idles well  but runs rich i guess  one of my questions  is  whats the timing setting  for a  manhatten  with a super charger set up.  or may be the timing setting is off  im kind of stumped at this point  any help advice would be great  thanks ahead of time !!

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: need some advice on super charged 226 engine running rich
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:13:10 PM »
If the car is running rich, chances are the carb needs adjusted. Aside from a rebuild, you can adjust it for better performance. There are two idle air screws at the base of the carb. With the ignition off, turn both clockwise until you feel them seat. Do not over tighten as they are soft brass and will distort. Then, turn both back out 1 1/2 turns each. Start the car and slowly turn one screw back in until you hear the engine begin to stumble. Then turn the screw back out until the engine again smooths out. Do the same for the other screw. This will get you close to the factory settings and it should give you better performance.