Author Topic: Frazer Auto Wanted...any suggestions?  (Read 4976 times)

Robinfrazer

• View Profile
    • Email
Frazer Auto Wanted...any suggestions?
« on: March 22, 2013, 02:21:21 PM »
Hi:
I am new to this forum, I was at an auto show in Boyne City MI last fall and came across a Frazer Manhattan in the show. I had never seen one of these cars before nor ever heard of them. I got a bit of info from the owner and have done quite a bit of research since on the internet. I think with my last name being Frazer it would be appropriate for me to begin looking to acquire a car bearing my name. I, like the founder of the brand, am mechanically inclined, being a machinist for 30 years and owning a machine, welding and hydraulic repair shop for 9 years. I am located in northern Ontario, Canada. I was wondering if you know of any cars that would fit the bill, I don't want to get one that needs extensive repair or body work because I do not have time for it. Also if anyone could give me an idea of prices it would help. Looking at the internet prices I was able to find, it varies so much as to be impossible to pin anything down well. I really appreciate that there is a dedicated forum of people willing to help a newcomer to acquire their first classic car, so thanks in advance for your help.

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Frazer Auto Wanted...any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 08:34:39 PM »
I dont know anything about this car but "custom" posted this link further down on this cars for sale & wanted thread. It is a 48 Frazer for sale in Kentucky. Looks reasonable. Check it out:
http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/3621968919.html

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:30:48 PM »
It does not look too bad, especially for the price if it runs and drives.  If you are looking for something relatively finished, you would have to check out the CARS FOR SALE section of the KFOCI MONTHLY BULLETIN.   

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:46:17 AM »
Welcome.   We don't know what year Frazer you saw in the car show, but since you have been doing some research, you can see that the so-called "slab sides" were made from 1947 to 1950.   1951's were essentially the same but with modifications to the carry over body.

The forum is helpful, but it does not always generate a lot of topical interest.  I think the suggestion to become a member and get the newsletter is sound advice.  There are a lot of KF guys that are not on this forum, probably 99% of the club, so I would post there a WANTED ad and see if someone has a 47-51 Frazer.

I am not a fan of the 1947-48's. They are OK, but need to be very nice originals or restored to really "pop".  I love the 49's, but have not seen one for sale in over a year, in any condition.  In fact, I have never seen a 49 Manhattan for sale in "nice driver" condition in the 3 years I have been interested in KF products.

Prices are all over the map. 2 years ago a low mileage 47 Manhattan from KS was on here for $1500 or so that needed "gone through" but was low mileage and could have been enjoyed as is rather then emptying your pockets for a restoration. 

On the other hand, many Frazer owners have unrealistic expectations of what their cars are worth and virtually everyone is overpriced.

Maybe others will comment on yout topic, but the search may take awhile on the Internet, so I would cut to the chase, join the club and even before I got started I would send in a WANTED ad with my money and application.  Club members have a few Frazers, so reach out that way for a quicker result. 
No old cars owned.

Dino

• Gotta love your old car.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:46:15 PM »
Well I have a 1947 Frazer Manhattan I was trying to sell it, But I'm sorry My club wants me to keep it so now its starting to grow on me. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. If your ever this way on a Sunday come to the Pony Corral on Grant. I am a Fabulous 50's Member. GOOD LUCK in finding one Friend.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 06:30:52 AM »
Dino,

Does your Manhattan have a 1 or a 2 at the DR heading on the body plate?

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 08:52:31 AM »
I dont know anything about this car but "custom" posted this link further down on this cars for sale & wanted thread. It is a 48 Frazer for sale in Kentucky. Looks reasonable. Check it out:
http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/3621968919.html

I just noticed that the 48 Frazer link posted previously for the $3200 car in New Salsbury, KY is now also found on the Old Rides website for $4500 ($1300 more). Looks like the same car. I am assuming that the Michigan poster is a dealer for other cars and is carrying this one for the seller. The KY craigslist is still up so the car must be listed in both places. I have not called on it but thought I would point it out again if you want to find a Frazer bargain. The craigs list link is above.
Here is the Old Rides link:  http://www.oldride.com/classic_cars/764013.html

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 01:33:31 PM »
Don't forget that KFOCI members can post a free WANTED ad in the club's monthly newsletter.  You just need to make sure what year (s) you would be interested in.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »
I missed this post so I'm coming back and commenting; Dino, I like your car. And it really is a Manhattan too! Looks nice.  Regarding the one for sale in Michigan, on the oldride.com site, it looks nice but I see one fender has a "Manhattan" script on it but the car is surely a standard (based on upholstery and other features). This does not by any means make it a bad or undesireable car, it just means it's not really a Manhattan. A lot of owners did that over the years, put Manhattan scripts on standards.  It likely will not effect the price or quality of the car, it's just something to be aware of. Seems like a very good example and someone could probably get it for less than that asking price if you're a good haggler.

1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

montefrazer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 12:12:17 PM »

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 03:09:51 PM »
Nice looking car.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 04:09:42 PM »
It is nice looking. Needs more pictures though. Looks like it really is a Manhattan and not a standard with 'Manhattan' scripts on it as we see so often. The fact that the seller refers to it as a 'Kaiser-Frazer' is strong indicator that he knows little about them. It looks like it could be a good deal.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios