Author Topic: Over drive problem  (Read 2130 times)

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
Over drive problem
« on: July 19, 2013, 12:51:22 AM »
Ok you old hands out there. I have a stubborn overdrive problem.  My overdrive began to quit on my way back from Oregon last year in the form of working going down hill, then going out of OD going back up.  Then for a month, it worked fine.  After that, it has not worked since.  Here is what I have found so far:

1. Lever in-lever out, works as expected at the low speeds.
2. With lever in, I verified that the cable is pushing the correct lever on the transmission to the end of travel, and it free-wheels with no unexpected noises.
3. When you hit the expected 28 or so mph, you can hear a faint click, I think from the relay on the firewall.
4. Tested that relay, and it works fine.
5. Overdrive solenoid works out of the car, but replaced it with another unit that works out of the car and verified it was seated correctly.
6. Wiring was new only a few years ago and connections are clean and tight.
7. Kickdown switch functions as designed.
8. I grounded the terminal on the OD lockout switch to override the OD governor and still, no activation of overdrive!

Bottom line is: I cannot find the problem and all of the components seem to work just fine. It started as an intermittent failure where overdrive would be working, then not work, then work again. It then worked fine for a about a month, and now has quit altogether.
Help me before I drive her off a cliff.    At slow speeds though. Ugh!   >:(

Still looks good though.   8)
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Over drive problem
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 04:03:37 PM »
Intermittent issues almost always lead back to dirty contacts or a bad relay. My 50K would act the same way..and the relay bench tested ok. Turns out, it wasn't working when under full amperage load. I cleaned the points inside the relay and all of the external contacts and that cured the problem.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 05:01:50 PM »
Also make sure your battery is fully charged and the generator putting out the correct voltage. This matters because energizing the OD solenoid requires more current than any other electrical component on the car. If battery is not fully charged and the charging system not putting out full voltage, the overdrive is the first thing that will fail. None of the other electrical components, save for the headlights, take much current and will all function well but the OD solenoid can fail when the electrical system is week.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »
I never knew the solenoid took that much energy.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 09:52:36 PM »
I hope these may be of help.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 12:20:20 AM »
I will check all the terminals and the grounds.  Could also be the relay as suggested above.  I think I need to ground the engine and frame better anyway, so there's another project!  Thanks for all the suggestions, all.   And for the flow charts, Corsairdeluxe!  They will no doubt come in handy!  I'm learning more than I ever wanted to know about the intricacies of the OD system!

My latest Kaiser acquisition: a spare 1951 engine and overdrive transmission!

L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 08:07:49 PM »
Corsairdeluxe:  Do you know where the decision charts came from?  Would there be a problem if I used them in the PNW Traveler to help our readers??
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 10:28:58 PM »
Jim
Many,many years ago the quaterly and to a lesser extent the bulletin contained this type of information. I tore them all out over the years and saved them in a file. I have scanned some of them and that is the case with the O.D. charts. As to who originally posted them,I am thankful to them, but have no idea who created them. As they have already been posted in one of our periodicals, I can't see any problem with doing it again.
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 10:35:57 PM »
Here is another one from that file. Every Henry J owner should have it. If they don't need it now they will surly need it in the future
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:45:50 PM by Corsairdeluxe »
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE