Hemmings Classic Car
6 (66.7%)
Old Cars Weekly
1 (11.1%)
Hemmings Motor News
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: June 18, 2013, 02:59:01 PM

Author Topic: Old Car Magazines  (Read 3049 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Old Car Magazines
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »
List below if your favorite car magazine is not on the list.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Old Car Magazines
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 06:30:26 AM »
Why???????????

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 09:16:47 AM »
I am a long time subscriber to Hemmings Classic Car.  I recently got an issue of Collectible Automobile, and it seemed to me that the writing, the subject material and the organization of that magazine was a lot better.  I was considering switching over to Collectible Automobile (I don't want too many old car magazine subscriptions because I don't have time to read them all) and I wondered what opinions club members had about the various magazines out there.  If I have left some off the list, please include them as well.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 09:50:07 AM »
Why???????????

In the general forum, I don't see an issue with off topics.  Besides, this may help others decide. I know at one time I was a member of four clubs, and subscriber to 3 periodicals incl Hemmings Motor News. 

I don't think this is an apples to apples comparison.  Collectible Automobile costs at least 2 x what the Hemmings publications do and has no advertising, which is nice.  Collectible Automobile has archive quality paper BUT Hemmings Classic Car has just as nice of photos, on cheaper paper. 

A person can pick and choose on Collectible Automobile, which is what I do. If a particular issue features cars I have little interest in, I don't purchase the magazine.   I have gone back and purchased specific CAutomobiles featuring KF, so I have 3 of them with coverage of KF. 

In a 12 month Hemmings run, they feature on average, what? 5 KF articles annually (incl Willys and such).  On the other hand I have found (just my opinion) CAutomobiles coverage of KF to NOT be inclusive.  Generally they were written by Langworth, and read easy and fun, but miss details in favor of antecdotal information.   So they aren't "conclusive" either. 
No old cars owned.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 11:04:59 AM »
Thanks, Roadmaster49, I appreciate the detailed feedback.  You are right, too, that we are not comparing apples to apples.  I will say that in Hemmings publications I tend to find sloppy writing style.  They seem to be "car guys" first, and writers second.  I know some prefer this, but not I.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 12:37:05 PM »
I have subscribed to Collectible Automobile since the 2nd issue and do not want to miss an issue. Some have cars featured that I am not particularly interested in, but then, it's a big hobby and I always read all the articles. Details are always excellent, and they have reference articles about related literature and scale models.

Hemming Classic car is also a great mag and I subscribe to this also. It is more "casual" than CA and has more articles about the industry and other related topics and that keeps it interesting as well. HCC grew out of the old Special Interest Autos magazine that was also from Hemmings.

Both magazines have established authors and new authors. Both offer a great deal of insight into primarily American automotive history with occasional excursions into foreign makes. I will keep subscribing to both because they are different enough from each other that it stays interesting.

I also pick up several different magazines at the newsstand but do not subscribe - Ol Skool Rodz, Car Kulture Deluxe and several other "rat rod" type pubs because those folks are crazy and build some amazing cars. They also have pin-up girls.I used to subscribe to Old Cars Weekly, but have lost interest several years ago, dunno why. I also get several club publications: AACA, SDC, HET, Divco Club, Velie Register, Society of Automotive Historians.
I guess I read a lot.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 05:40:30 PM »
Thanks, Aeroman, for the insights.  I, too, read a lot, but only a small portion of that is auto related, so I am trying to maximize my time and money.

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 06:49:28 AM »

I enjoy "Cars and Parts"