Author Topic: oil filter  (Read 4074 times)

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
oil filter
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:07:46 PM »
Hi guys, i just traded my previous oldie for a 1951 Kaiser a few weeks ago.
I want to do a complete oil change, including the filter. Went to Napa but they sold me a replacable cartrige, that's not what i have, i do have the throw away can type with brass fittings at top and bottom for the oil lines.
Where can i find a replacement unit, what are my options !

Thanks for helping.

Bernie  :'(

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: oil filter
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 07:14:30 AM »
When at your auto parts store ask for a replacement for a FRam PB 1/2 . You can sometimes find them on EBAY also .

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 04:34:51 PM »
Thanks kfnut, i'll be away for a week but as soon as i'm back, i'll check my local autopart (Montreal, Canada) with the number you're suggesting and let you know !  :)

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:32:40 AM »
The PB 1/2 filter...and its equivalent can be difficult to find. You might want to consider switching to a canister style filter. Look for a unit that would have been originally installed on 46-53 Dodge and Plymouth cars as they will bolt right up to the KF block. They use the NAPA 1080 filter which most stock on their shelf, or they can get within one day. And, they cost about 1/4 as much as the throw-away type.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 10:22:04 AM »
At the time the 1951 Kaiser went on sale (@May 10 1950) Kaiser-Frazer Sales Corporation sent a memo to dealers and distributors advising them that it is in the car owners interest to have them purchase the replacement element filter kit for the 226.  According to the memo, the cost of the package would be paid for in money saved after 5 oil changes using the replacement element rather than the type 1/2 filter that the factory installed.   This memo appears in the 1951-52V (and later Kaiser) accessory sections in KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 4.0 and will still be there in 5.0.

You can take the package off a parts car (including brackets, oil lines and hardware) if you want to go that route, clean everything out, and there you are.  Be advised there are two versions of this under the same part number.  One takes the Fram C-3 type filter, the other the Purolator P-70 FF filter.   

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 06:29:30 PM »
OIL FILTERS, the Kaiser Parts Interchange & Sources Catalog advertised in the monthly lists the THROWAWAY as Ford Tractor and early Ford cars and trucks. they are available under P/N 551035 the color is WHITE to be original paint it BLACK.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »
Does the Ford item cross to Purolator or Fram?   While both types were used in the oil filter install kits, the size of the replacement element differs.  Fram does not recommend use of the C-3 filter in the Purolator (P-70 FF) unit.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:41:30 PM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 06:10:52 PM »
Thanks for your help guys, i found a Chryco filter on EBAY for $30, it fits perfectly.

So oil changed to synthetic with new filter. Gaz filter changed too. Air filter cleaned and re-installed as original (oiled).

Since i had difficulty with cold starts, i checked the choke mechanism to find out a few broken parts in it. I'm planning to switch to manual choke...what do you think...

Bernie.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 07:44:06 PM »
The lubrication people at CEP2 when I was at Ford were not keen on use of synthetic oil in old cars.  They lack certain elements that the older engines need for maximum life and performance.  Remember High Mileage oil is based on the idea you have a 10-15 year old vehicle with average miles per year use.  Their recommendation for 1940's and early 1950's engines was the Quaker State or Shell Rotella oil of proper viscosity.  One of the guys came and spoke at the Fall 2010 Midwest Divison meet that Barbara and I hosted and mentioned these points.

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 08:26:37 PM »
O.K. then, i'will check for these types of oil.
When i drained the old oil it looked like molasse and smelled bad too. The engine did'nt seemed to be affected by the sound of it or power, no smoke from the exhaust either.
The new oil i got is Mobil 1 Extended Performance Syntetic Oil 10W-30 but if it's not recommended, i could drain it and switch for the oil type you recommend.

Bernie.

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 11:39:02 PM »
10W30 might be too thin for a Kaiser in summer. It may be OK if your engine is rebuilt or is still tight. Most old 226s aren't tight. When new they called for SAE 30 in summer, SAE 20W20 in cooler weather. If you have good oil pressure at idle fully warmed up you're OK. If not you need thicker oil or a rebuild job. I've had good luck for years using 15W40 diesel truck oil in both my 53 and 54 Kaisers.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 01:58:37 PM »
IT DOES GET CONFUSING WHEN WORKING WITH SALES PERSONS NOWDAYS IF THEY ARE UNDER 50 YEARS OLD. THE YOUNG ONES TRY WORKING WITH THEIR COMPUTERS, AND DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR QUESTION BECAUSE THE COMPUTER DOES NOT CARRY THE INFO. AFTER 15 YEARS. BEST TO HAVE THE NAPA PART NUMBER IN HAND, THEN THEY CAN DO THE JOB FOR YOU. THATS WHY I KEEP THE KF PARTS & SOURCES UP DATED.

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »
Guys, to conclude my "oil filter story", i started the car yesterday, went for a little ride, clean oil on the dipstick, no leaks what so ever, no unusual noises from the engine, no smoke from the exhaust.

I'm going to keep the synthetic 10W30 Mobil 1 oil in for a little while and monitorfor anything unusual.

Feels good to run the car with new clean oil and filter, thanks to you all.

I will now address another mechanical aspect, maybe with your help as needed !

Thanks again !

Bernie.