Author Topic: Removing radio from 1949/50 Kaiser Standard  (Read 1970 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Removing radio from 1949/50 Kaiser Standard
« on: May 28, 2009, 02:17:10 PM »
I'm thinking of trying to grab a radio out of a 1949/50 Kaiser parts car. It's the 1947 style radio that was fitted in the 49/50 standard models.  Does anyone know how difficult this is to do? I don't want to lay under a dash full of bugs, mites, assorted feces, and layers of wasp nests and dirt if it's going to take a couple of hours to do the job.  It's this style radio
Has anyone done it?  jimkf, I believe you once said you had this style radio in your Traveler. Have you ever had it out? 
If anyone has, please let me know - thanks.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Removing radio from 1949/50 Kaiser Standard
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:17:42 PM »
Removing a radio from a 50K is alot easier than the 51-5 cars. There's a bolt on the top/center of the firewall that needs removed...it holds a bracket under the dash that's attached to the rear of the radio. Then, just remove the knobs from the front of the unit and unscrew the nuts that hold the tuner/volume shafts in place. On some...including this model, to remove the nuts, you may need either inside snap ring pliers or a pair of needle nose pliers with a narrow head as the shafts are held in place with the same style 'nut' that holds the switches in place. Once the rear bolt and front retainers/nuts are removed, you can drop the radio out from under the dash. Oh..and don't forget to pull the antenna wire and to unhook the power line!
By the way...who's parts car is it? I might be interested in a widget or two from the car.
Jimkf

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Removing radio from 1949/50 Kaiser Standard
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »
Thanks Jim, I pulled the radio out. I followed your instructions and it was out in 2 minutes. Unfortunately, it's in pretty rough shape. I got it to play already but it will need a lot of work to get the tuner mechanism working right and the dial face will have to be redone and also the clear plastic dial "window" is warped beyond repair. Add all of this to the fact that the knobs are missing and I'm not sure it was much of a find but I'll see if I can make a good one out of it from parts of some others I have here.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios