Author Topic: BW overdrive  (Read 1783 times)

ken taplin

• View Profile
    • Email
BW overdrive
« on: June 17, 2009, 07:16:13 AM »
OD does not engage. When the manual lever is in the engaged position The unit does not free wheel. ????

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: BW overdrive
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 08:36:37 AM »
Hi Ken, if the OD control is engaged (cable pushed all the way in) and the car does not free wheel then the problem has to be the cable / lever mechanism itself.  It may be loose or disconnected down at the transmission.  Since the 'free wheeling' mechanism is all mechanical (no electrical components to that part of the OD) it has to be the control cable connection/linkage down to the trans.  Even when electrical components are defective, the car will still free wheel when the cable is engaged.  Check the cable/lever down at the trans and see if it is fully engaging.  On this OD, if you disconnect the control cable, it is very easy to move the lever on the trans by hand and engage the OD which activates the free wheeling mechanism.
Have a look and let us know what you find.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

ken taplin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 08:51:39 AM »
I have checked that the lever is in the proper position and I know that the rail inside is moving properly because it actuates the reverse lockout switch as it should. I know it should free wheel with no power to the system at all. That's why i'm baffled.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 10:01:48 AM »
It would appear you're on the right track then, and that yes, perhaps the rod inside the unit is not moving when the lever is activated. I've heard the spring that fits over that rod can break. If it does, that could be the issue.  This means, trans has to come apart to fix it.  I've actually removed just the case/cover from the OD section, while leaving the trans installed, and worked on them. Just get a new gasket set.  It would take you about an hour and half to check it. Drain the trans, disconnect the drive shaft and the remove the OD cover/housing.  Only tricky part is removing the OD control lever on the trans - it involves driving a pin out so you need a long, stiff punch. With a proper punch, it's actually pretty easy. The shop manual provides good instructions. I have a lot of photos from when I did it so let me know if you want me to  post some.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:54:39 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios