Author Topic: 54 Special Late Model  (Read 4252 times)

54KSLM

• View Profile
54 Special Late Model
« on: July 19, 2009, 09:34:05 AM »
Alright, I have just joined the forum. I'll be sending a check to join the club too before August  ;D. Anyway, I have acquired a 1954 Late Model Kaiser Special and yes it has the thin rocker panel trim. The only problem... it looks like crap right now and it doesn't have an engine or the hydramatic transmission, but I am determined to fix it up. Here's the big question, should I put a Kaiser engine in it even though it wouldn't be #'s matching, or should I go for what will be easier to find parts for. Oh, and is there a way to figure out what engine number I'd need by looking at the body number? Thank you all who can help me.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 09:40:59 AM by 54KSLM »

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 54 Special Late Model
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 05:19:33 PM »
My '53 Dragon has a correct engine in it, but it's not #s matching--it's out of a Manhattan.  I don't know how that would affect points in a show, but I just drive mine.  Parts are not hard to find for the 226, you can also buy whole, rebuilt engines.  I know Rudy Philips (760-789-3608) has them for $2,900 + $450 core charge, and I see in the monthly bulletin that Ed Ewing (530-241-7990--I'm not familiar with him) has them for $2,200 w/exchange.

With proper maintenance the 226 is a pretty good running and reliable engine, but I know different people have their preferences.  At any rate, congratulations on your new purchase and welcome.

54KSLM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »
Thanks Logan for getting me some of that information. Unfortunately, I am starting college, so for the next 4 years I won't have much cash on hand. The person who I have acquired the car from is my great uncle. His name his Clay Hennessey if anyone wants to know. My car sits in the same shed as his. He tells me that he has an engine, and I've seen it, in another shed. We just aren't sure how to figure out if the transmission is a hydramatic. I'm still interested in knowing if there is a way to get numbers to an engine from the body number. Thanks.

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 01:28:29 PM »
The short answer is NO way. There is no direct correspondence.
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

54KSLM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 08:05:18 AM »
If that is true ben-tex, then how could one prove that a car is numbers matching? There has to be some correlation. But besides that, how does one recognize a hydramatic transmission versus a manual?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 08:14:39 AM »
Some titles list both the car serial number and engine number. That would be one way to tell. Bill of sales from back in the day often list both as well. That would be the only way to tell.  I know in 45+ years in this hobby we swapped a lot of engines out and it never mattered.  When vehicles are almost 60 years old, it's not unusual to have had an engine replacement.  Regarding the transmission, the data tag  under the hood has a designation on it called "TR" which indicates which transmission the car originally had.  If the transmission in the car does not match that code, it is not a "Tag matching" car. In the case of most KF products, it's not really an issue.  I have a 1952 Henry J Vagabond, and even though it is an original car with all original KF parts, I removed the four cylinder and replaced it with a six cylinder and when I did, I added overdrive which it did not have.  The tags on the car indicate it is a model K523 which was a four cylinder and the "TR" code on the data plate is "2" meaning standard transmission without overdrive. This means my 1952 Henry J Vagabond is not a "Tag Matching" car.  Even though it is not a tag matching car, I think most would agree it is now a better car than it was.  I also have a 1953  Henry J Corsair Deluxe which is a totally "Tag Matching" car, meaning what it  says on the tags is exactly what the car is.  The original title (which I have photocopies of) lists engine number on it and that matches the one in the car so it is a totally "Tag Matching" car which is pretty rare for a Henry J.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 08:21:19 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 08:19:46 AM »
According to the club handbook hydramatics would have a 7 under TR on the data plate on the firewall of car.

In Texas cars were registerred by MOTOR number back in the day. This means a car with a replaced engine would no longer have a correct title. One of my cars is like that. No problem as long as it stays in Texas since nobody ever looks at the car only the title. The correct deal back then when a motor got changed out was to submit a bill of sale for the motor to get the title changed.
Life Member
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond

54KSLM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 09:13:25 AM »
Thanks greatly Fid. You made so much sense. The only problem with finding the numbers on the title, is that we don't have one. Some guy gave it to my uncle over 35 years ago. But it makes me feel better about putting any old Kaiser engine in it. Thanks.

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 10:44:38 AM »
Well the first thing I would do is see if I could get a title to the car. Your sure don't want to spend a bunch of money and then have title problems. Not likely to be a problem but caution is best sometimes. Numbers matching KF cars are almost rare as hen's teeth and no one seems to care really. Even when someone says "numbers matching" one can usally find parts with tags that are not correct. If it was a Corvette it would matter... Parts tthat have date codes are generators, starters, glass etc.
Life Member
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond

Fabian 51K

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 10:12:06 AM »
There are several eays ways to tell if you car is hydramatic, or overdrive. First look  in the interior on the steering colum there should be a tag if it says N-1-2-R it is hydramatic. If it says K it is overdrive. If there is a clutch pedal it is overdrive. if there is an overdrive handle next to the hood handle it is overdrive.  Go under the hood and look where the steering colum comes out from the body at the shifter linkage, if there is one (1) link with a switch (neutral safety) it is hydramatic. If there are two (2) linkages with a selenoud mounted on the firewall with a fuse it is overdrive. If you look at the frame, if there is a #2 crossmember before the hole in the X-frame it is overdrive, if there are two mouts on either side of the frame before the hole it is a hydramatic. If you manage to find the transmission and it weighs about 60 pounds with a long shaft coming out the front it is overdrive. If it weighs about 150 pounds an looks like a big box rounded at the front with a short fat shaft it is a hydramatic transmission On the engine if there is a clutch with a preasure plate installed it is an overdrive engine, if there is a torque converter installed it is a hydramatic engine. I hope this helps you identify what you have.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 09:42:32 PM by Fabian 51K »

54KSLM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 01:54:56 PM »
Wow, thanks for all of that information Fabian. Now I'm sure I can figure out what that mysterious engine and transmission are. Thanks.