Author Topic: engine removal  (Read 3683 times)

ken taplin

• View Profile
    • Email
engine removal
« on: July 03, 2009, 06:16:11 AM »
I can't seem to get the engine out of my 51 kaiser. It hits on the fire wall before it is high enough for the oil pan to clear the steering arms. Should I drop that center idler arm ?

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
Re: engine removal
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 05:19:12 PM »
I have been involved mainly as the lifter/puller in engine removal and you don't need to drop any steering stuff. According to the shop manual you have to turn the engine slightly so that is NOT parallel to the car's frame and of course the front will have to be higher than the back. The slickest way to avoid all this is to remove the front clip from the car which is not held on by many bolts (I never saw this in person but some say the only way to fly!).
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

Fabian 51K

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 11:51:03 AM »
It would be easier if you drooped the idler arm, but if you do not want to go that wrought you could invest in an engine leveler. I think I purchased mine from harbor freight, or eastwood, can't remember, but they work great. I agree with Ben it is 100% easier to remove the engine with the front clip removed, but it is a little work.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 01:08:50 PM »
It can be done without removing the front clip. Done it many times.  You need to get the engine at about a 60 degree or greater angle but it will lift right out.  I was having the same problem the first time I did one, which was on a Henry J, but the concept is the same. I got frustrated and flustered till my brother, an engineer (but I don't hold it against him) stopped by and asked why I had the chain/hoist hooked up the way I did.  He was right, we changed it so the chain was on the third set of headbolts from the front and connected so the chain was perpendicular to the head like this -    Once we did that, it lifted right out and right back in.  We did have to remove the OD relay from the firewall so the back of the head didn't crush it but other than that, it didn't scrape/scuff on the firewall at all.  I don't remember if we had to remove the OD relay on the Kaiser but I'd do it just to be safe.  Unfortunately, I didn't take photos of any of the Kaiser engine swaps but again, the concept is the same.
Good luck
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:33:19 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »
I looked in the shop manual to see if they recommended any particular head bolts to connect to-and they say preferably #7 and 27.

Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 02:08:20 AM »
You have to turn the steering wheel to the left on the '51's.  Mine even has the early '51 bump in the firewall which accommodates the larger radio on the early cars and only when you turn the steering wheel all the way to the left can you get it out.  It slips out quite nicely then. ( I wrote it in my notes so I wouldn't forget next time )  Good Luck!!
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

Fabian 51K

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 01:34:36 AM »
Ken,

I have removed and installed engines in 51,52, and 54 Kaiser. I usually do not have a problem. One thing you may want to try at your own risk is to crawl under the car and grab hold of the end of the transmission and help push it forward a little to clear the firewall. Be careful when you do this the engine and transmission weigh about 600 pounds you do not want the engine swinging back and crushing your hand. I usually watch closely when putting in and taking out the engine to make sure it does not hang up on anything. Here are a few pictures from the instillation of my engine in the 51 four years ago. The steering was completely installed, and my car has the bulge in the firewall like Lester mentioned. I did crawl under my car and guide the transmission over the #2 cross member. I was slightly younger, slightly thinner, and the car was on jacks. I hope this helps you.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 05:21:13 AM »
One important thing to note...if you're pulling the engine and transmission together and the transmission is a hydramatic, you will want to drain the trans before pulling the unit or all of the fluid will run out of the tail. The drive shaft acts as a seal ans without it, there's nothing to stop the fluid from running out.

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 06:11:57 AM »
Same thing happened with my manual trans.  When tipped, the thing leaked transmission oil all over.  That was a nasty surprise not mentioned in the shop book. 
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 08:33:41 AM »
Yes on the manual trans, the oil runs out the speedo cable hole. If you plug that you can stop a lot of it. Otherwise, it's time to get out the kitty litter.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios