Author Topic: Compression on rebuilt engine?  (Read 2774 times)

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
Compression on rebuilt engine?
« on: May 17, 2014, 04:10:39 PM »
Guys, wanted to get your thoughts.  As you may know, I had the engine block replaced, cylinders rebored, and the engine essentially rebuilt on my 54 Kaiser just a few months ago.  While I've been pleased with the oil pressure and  general running overall of the engine, I believe I've been loosing coolant back and out thru the tail pipe. (just like before when I had a blown head gasket...which started this whole thing).  I've been trying to figure where its coming from but its more than "condensation in the muffler and tailpipe" as my mechanic would like me to believe.  :o I'm seeing far too much white smoke well after the engine warms up but no coolant in the oil or apparent exhaust backflow into the radiator thankfully.

However, the loss of coolant, white smoke and water out of the tailpipe continues to bother me.  Having just spent a large amount of money on this work, I'm wondering if I should just take it back to the shop?  :-\

Today I did a compression check and here are the readings starting with #1:

Thoughts??    ??? 

Of course, just like when I did the last compression check, the engine is now flooded and refuses to start!!!    >:( >:(

KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Compression on rebuilt engine?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 04:42:41 PM »
I would look at the head. I'll bet it's cracked. When they do, the most common spot is between 3 and 4.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 07:37:25 AM by joefrazer »

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 08:09:02 PM »
Our Carolina runs great at an idle and up to around 2500 RPM then it coughs, spits and dies.  Restarts right backup.  Thought fuel pump, filter clog or pinched fuel line.  Nope.  Thought Distributor ... vacuum advance ... appears to be fine.  Checked compression

I am hoping warped head ... pull it ... check it ... shave it and reinstall ... that is the plan  :-[
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 09:30:26 PM »
Mike: Did you torque the head after the initial engine warm up and again after 500 miles? KF service bulletin number 314 details the correct procedure for installing the head. The compression readings indicate that something is wrong with the head gasket or the valves may be leaking. Leakage by the rings on the low cylinders can be checked by putting a small amount of oil in the cylinders and then checking the compression. Moisture coming out of the tail pipe after warm up appears to be a head gasket.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 07:15:34 PM »
Guys, thanks for in input.  I also got a PM that was very helpful.  Larry, I had a shop do all the work so not sure about the retorquing.  Since it looks like we'll be redoing the head gasket, I'll take him the Service Bulletin; I was not aware of it.

The other problem that I have that I failed to mention earlier was the car overheats when its not moving.  it gets up to about 200 degrees and then shuts itself off.

Can't get it to start right now...presume it is flooded.  Had the same problem last time i did a compression check.

What to do??
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 08:57:47 PM »
Overheating at idle...does that mean it does not when the car is moving?

If so, then I think the issue is either a worn water pump impeller or a clogged radiator compliments of dislodged material in the block. Remove the rad cap, start the car and let it come to operating temperature. You should see coolant moving in the rad and both the upper and lower hoses should be hot to the touch. If only the upper is hot, then the rad is probably clogged.

Retorquing the head should be done after a few hours of operation to ensure you have even tension on the head.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 09:22:03 PM »
Jim, that's correct, when the car is not moving the heat runs up to 190-200.  Once I start going again, it drops down to about 170.  Yes, i think i need to find the reason the head gasket blew...i'm starting to suspect the radiator too, although I did have a radiator shop boil it out and gave it the OK...but you all know how that goes.

I remember once when this overheating was happening the top hose was not hot at all.  Does that sound like a closed thermostat? 
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »
Yes, it does sound like a stuck thermostat. Also, when installing a thermostat, it needs to be in the water neck and supported by the adapter ring, not positioned down in the head. An incorrectly installed thermostat will cause circulation issues.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 09:43:47 PM »
Where is John Parker now that we really need him?
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom