Author Topic: 2014 WOODWARD DREAM CRUISE TO 2015 CHICAGO WORLD OF WHEELS  (Read 4570 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
2014 WOODWARD DREAM CRUISE TO 2015 CHICAGO WORLD OF WHEELS
« on: August 17, 2014, 06:13:32 PM »
I drove my Darrin in the WOODWARD DREAM CRUISE on Saturday.
For those that do not know, it is the largest single day car event in the world, or so says the news.  Officially it is one day, but for almost 2 weeks before, cars are cruising in the evening.
40,000 cars and 1 million people spread across 16 miles of the first paved road in America.
This was the 20th year.
My Henry J has been in it twice, the Darrin 5 times, including 2 in downpour rains!
This year was the biggest and one of the best, especially the weather.
Best of all, a scout for the 2015 Chicago World of Wheels car show has VIPed my Darrin into the TOP TWENTY spot well ahead of show time.

An additional point of this post is about driving our cars.
As I have stated many times,  ad nauseam to some, I drive both my cars all the time.
"Crazy to drive the Darrin"---hear it all the time.
But even after 6,000 since the completion of the restoration in 2009, including 2 flat tires, blown timing gear on Labor Day and a stone chip that cost $5,000 to repair, the car presents itself well enough to get into the top twenty in Chicago.

I have driven this car to every competition that I have entered--from local cruise nights to a Concours d'Elegance.
I have a wall of trophies, Best in Class to Best in Show, all with a car that is driven every week.
It may not be as pristine as when first restored, but I enjoy driving it and really enjoy the smiles and "thumps-up" of those that see me on the streets.

That's my point---DRIVE 'EM!! and don't call me crazy!!!

rlahammer

• View Profile
Re: 2014 WOODWARD DREAM CRUISE TO 2015 CHICAGO WORLD OF WHEELS
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 07:37:42 PM »
I like everything you have stated! Need to show these cool old cars or they will become a thing of the past. Great job having fun with a great car.

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 07:39:16 PM »
Good for you Terry!! I agree. Drive em' if ya' got em'...or something like that. Lol. I cruised down Woodward a for a few miles on Friday night. I didn't stay long. It was fun but my leg was getting tired from the manual brakes in my '52 Buick! It was bumper to bumper. Had to save some gas to get up to Back to the Bricks in Flint on Saturday. Anyway, I agree with you completely.

I think the owners of Kaiser/Frazer cars should drive their cars as much as possible. My wife and I were just having a conversation about this yesterday. We go to a LOT of car shows. Just about every warm weekend for the past several years sometimes on Friday, Saturday, AND Sunday. That's not even counting the weekday cruise-ins. We go to all shows big and small and I think I have seen only TWO Kaisers that entire time. Both were hot rodded Henry J's. One was a drag car in Georgia and the other I saw yesterday at Back to the Bricks (pictures below). I can't wait to get my '53 Manhattan back on the road! My wife and I are going to caravan to all of the local shows. She wants to drive the Manhattan and I"m going to be in the Buick. What a site that will make for. I cannot wait to show people what a Kaiser looks like. Moving here to Michigan relatively near to Willow Run I thought I would see a lot of Kaiser/Frazer products at shows but so far that's not the case. Where is everyone?  :)

Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »
When I drive my Js to the store or wherever people often ask "Why do you drive it?"   The answer is simple " Because it's a car and was made to be driven."  What's point of restoring a car if it never gets driven? I agree, get 'em out and drive 'em!

1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 05:57:23 AM »
thanks for your support

one of the problems that I have is that the Darrin sports an historic license plate which "can" only be used during shows and parades, not just for driving around.

Michigan lawmakers did past a resolution to allow these types of plates during the week of the Cruise.
I wrote to them suggesting that they open up the rules to include any weekend.

After all, Michigan is motor capital of the world---well at least we used to be!

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 07:01:42 AM »
Congratulations Terry on your early pick. I agree with you guys 100%. In the last 4 years of car shows and cruises, I have only seen 5 Kaiser products. I know the cars are out there, but for whatever reason the cars stay home. I often hear spectators at the shows and cruises say how great it is to see something other than Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles, you know the same old thing. Packards and Nashes always draw a crowd, but the spectator traffic is crazy when they see my Darrin. Not boasting, but trying to make a point. Kaiser cars are the most stylish and interesting cars out there and probably the most forgotten. I'm always asked, "Kaiser? is that a German car". When I explain it's as American as a Liberty Ship, then they want to know more and say that they never knew that. Take your prides and joys out to shows or for a drive to get ice cream, and enjoy what you have.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:05:19 AM by DTort96646 »

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 07:37:15 AM »
Great news Terry.  Would love to see photos of your Darrin. 
No old cars owned.

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 07:39:01 PM »
We have a similar law here, Terry T.  It's meant to stop people from avoiding the yearly license tax by licensing and driving a collector car-licensed vehicle daily to work.  It is sparsely enforced here, so far, but the law exists, which means you can certainly run afoul of it should the Gov't change it's focus.  If I ruled the world, the law would be clear, with no room for interpretation one way or the other (preferably to allow us to drive where ever and when ever the hell we wanted to).  Alas, we live in the United States.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

54manhattan13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 01:28:30 PM »
Here in Wisconsin Collector plates can drive anytime except one month out of the year. ( I am not entirely sure but I believe the license holder can pick which month the car can't be driven).

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 02:40:16 PM »
Here in Ohio historic vehicle tags can be placed on any car 25 years or older. They're good for 50 years and will set you back all of $10. This, from the same state that makes it nearly impossible to title an out of state vehicle. Go figure...