Author Topic: 5" ducting  (Read 8218 times)

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 5" ducting
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 10:26:29 AM »
FYI:   I haven't ordered the 5" duct from JC Whitney but ran accross the number in out parts exchange list after viewing this discussion.  Thanks for the good info about the car parts.   Jim   

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 07:16:44 PM »
'54 Kaiser, have you received your air intake yet?  I got mine today and it's not at all the correct part.  For one thing, it's molded almost rectangular, not round at all.  Also, although I didn't take it out to the car, it doesn't look like it's long enough--at any rate it would be close.  I'll have to send it back.
Double check the part number on what they sent you Logan. With only one dimension given, the part has to either be round, or square. But not rectangular. It's possible they shipped you the wrong part. My last order was correct in every aspect (except I don't have the alternator yet) and was exactly what I expected the parts to be.

I was just putting an order together and that's on the list. I'd better phone or email them before I order it. I'll let you know what I find out. That ductwork should be common. I've seen it on a brand new "motorhome" in the past week. About four different sizes of it under the hood ducting air from the grille up to the passenger cabin.

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 07:30:59 PM »
I feel bad recommending this place to you Logan. I've fired off an email asking if the hose under that part number is round or rectangular. They've been good about answering my emails.

That said, it does say the hose is 20 5/8" long. I just went and measured the hose on my '54 and the drivers side is about 18 1/2". The passenger side is a little over 10". If it's the right hose it should at least be long enough but that wasn't the case for you.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 11:34:10 PM »
Hi, don't feel bad at all about it.  I will give them a call and figure it out.  I've been so busy lately I haven't even had time to take it out of the box, or to take the cover off the Kaiser let alone to go out and check on what length I need, so the length is probably right, but the shape is not.  Like I said, when I get the time I will figure it out and see if I can exchange it or something, but if they respond to your query I would like to know anything you find out.

Best,
Cory (Logan)

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 12:08:27 AM »
Well, the alternator turned out to be a "poor" experience at this point. It arrived today. I wasn't SUPPOSED to have to pay taxes or brokerage fees but it came with a bill for $41.56 from UPS. It was shipped direct from the vendor rather than CarParts/J.C. Whitney so I'll see what they'll do about it.

Then, I unpacked it and... it's not chromed. Just a plain bead blasted surface.

I start digging into it, and the label has the correct part number from their site. Should be an 80 Amp Chromed unit. Then I notice the label is on top of another label. So I use a hair dryer to warm them up and start peeling off the layers. There are THREE labels on it. Long story short, instead of part number A7127SE6CH(6 volt, 80 Amp, Chrome), the part numbers under the top one are A7127SE6.

Looked on the carparts web page and that part number is for a 6 volt 60 amp alternator with a plain housing. So it looks like the vendor is pulling a fast one on JC Whitney/carparts and relabeling parts to give the impression they are something they're not. Not Whitney's fault but I expect them to make good on both the part and the broker fees I shouldn't have had to pay. 

And all of that was to say that your duct, just might not have the right part number on it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:10:03 AM by 54 Kaiser »

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 03:00:29 PM »
Logan:

I talked to CarParts today about my alternator. While I was at it I asked about that 5" round duct you were supposed to receive.

She called me back about both the alternator and the duct.

The part you have is SUPPOSED to be completely round. NOT rectangular. She suggested you call them so they can confirm the manufacturer and part numbers on the package and straighten it out. Her name is Jessica and the number is 1-312-542-1422. (Hint: Although there is no 800 number, I called JC Whitney's 800 number since their name was all over the shipping confirmation emails. And they transferred me to CarParts....)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 10:37:38 PM »
Okay, thanks for your digging around on this.  I will call her.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 07:49:23 PM »
I'm still having an aweful time finding 5" ducting.  54 kaiser, I got the wrong part sent back and got my money back, but they said they didn't have any 5" round ducting.  I also checked at Home Depot and Lowes for air and plumbing ducting, but they only had 4" and 6"--the common sizes.  I also checked Studebaker Intl. and they only have 4" as well.  How have other members replaced their fresh air intake hoses?

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 10:48:34 PM »
I recall seeing this ducting on a web site that sells restoration parts for early 50's Fords. I don't remember which site but you can search the Ford sites and with a little luck you will find it.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 09:34:14 PM »