Author Topic: Cylinder Compression Test  (Read 8140 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cylinder Compression Test
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 09:13:17 PM »
Actually, I didn't even put a compression test on it since it ran smooth and I'm not about to tear it down again.  I probably should just to see.

So, can anyone answer my timing question?  How do you turn the distributor to adjust the timing?

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 10:56:25 PM »
After you have loosened the cap screw and screw in the clamp, grasp the distributor by the vacuum advance unit and turn it. The steel vacuum advance line will be the only thing left to offer resistance to turning it after the cap screw and screw  have been loosened. Larry

Fabian 51K

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 12:59:37 AM »
Logan,

The distributor has the bolt that holds the distributor to the mount (the one you loosened and) a clamp with a nut and a bolt on it that may have come loose. I usually loosen them both and grab the distributor with my hand and advance, or retard the timing that way. You can use a 12V timing light , but it needs to be hooked up to a 12V battery for thew light to work correctly. Here is a picture where you can see everything pretty well. I hope this helps you.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 04:36:51 PM »
Well, first of all, thanks for the tip about the 12 volt battery.  I've been using my 6-volt and the light is so weak I can't see anything.  Now, here is the problem I am having: looking at your photo here I see a metallic colored plate between the green base and black distributor which the manual calls the advance arm.  As you said, there is a bolt on the side and another bolt and nut to loosen.  When I loosen both of these, and even if I disconnect the vacuum advance, I can only move the advane arm itself back and forth, I cannot turn the actual distributor, and I have been afraid to twist too hard and break something.

One more thing: on my car the advance arm is positioned 180 degrees from yours, i.e. the side with the bolt faces more towards the left side of the car (yours faces more toward the right side).

Finally, when I decelerate from highway speeds backfiring occurs.  Could these be due to the timing or is the carburetor more likely?

Thanks for the picture and advice--I'm still trying to figure this out.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »
The difficulty in moving the distributor is most likely due to grease that's built up inside the adapter (piece that's mounted to the head that the distributor and advance arm rests upon. Your best bet would be to remove the distributor, flip it over and spray some Blaster into the bottom where it contacts the head. Then, while grasping the distrbutor base, (the black metal part that the cap sits on), try to turn the adapter base. It'll be stiff...but will eventually come off. Once it does, clean the inside of it and the distributor shaft so that the adapter base turns freely when remounted. A little light oil will help keep it freely moving.
Delco distributors on KF 226 engines should be mounted as shown in the picture. Get it set up that way and check your timing and I'll bet the backfiring issue goes away! (Sticky valves will cause it too)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 09:25:08 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Will try and let you know.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 11:51:41 PM »
Thanks, Joefrazer.  I did what you said and it worked.  Got it timed and no more backfiring.