Author Topic: Electronic ignition?  (Read 1930 times)

kingsgate

• View Profile
Electronic ignition?
« on: December 13, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »
Are there any electronic ignition kits suitable for a 1953 Kaiser Deluxe?

My car will be 12 volt negative ground.....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, hints & tips etc.......

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Electronic ignition?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 10:16:07 AM »
Pertronix should have what you need.   http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/default.aspx
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 11:29:25 PM »
Gee- I always considered one of the advantages of having an old car was that it didn't have electronic ignition. This means that it is impervious to solar activity, EMP from nuclear weapons, and even communications towers. Lest this seem too unlikely, there was a solar flare in the 1800's that even took out telegraph lines, which are a lot harder than auto ignition systems. I had a Jeep Grand Wagoner in '93 that would start to misbehave whenever it passed the base antenna for a local trucking outfit. Nuclear war may seem more remote than it once dis, but who knows these days. Anyway, I like the idea of being the honey badger, driving my 53 Manhattan past cars stalled by electromagnetic disaster, assuming there aren't so many stalled that they make transit impossible.....

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 07:57:57 PM »
You make no sense at all depledger. From your statements, the industry is all wrong and we should go back to Kettering ignition? Kingsgate, take barnum's advice and replace the points with a Pertronixs electronic ignition. You should be able to enjoy driving your Kaiser and not worrying about a bad set of points that you had to replace with a set of points that were made 30 years ago.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:07:22 PM by DTort96646 »

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »
Well, this was a somewhat tongue in cheek response, but I must admit that I have had about as many problems with one sort of ignition as the other. I just did fall victim of a set of 30 year old ignition points, but it took me only minutes to replace them, as opposed to what is required to deal with more advanced technology. I guess part of the charm of having an old car is keeping it running in the form it was built in. Becomes a fish or fowl situation otherwise. But then to each his own.

kingsgate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 05:18:35 AM »
Is there a particular Pertronix product I should buy?

Anyone else done this?

They seem to offer a simple electronic ignition and also an entire replacement distributor.

If anyone has had any good or bad experiences with a\ny of these, please let me know!

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 10:02:58 PM »
I have used the ignitor kit on  several cars. Simple to install. Here is a link to the parts page....put in your dist make and model #   http://www.pertronix.com/support/ignitor-kit/default.aspx . There are even some 6v applications
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman