Author Topic: How hard to start is your car after two months of storage?  (Read 2177 times)

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
How hard to start is your car after two months of storage?
« on: February 07, 2015, 04:49:40 PM »
Taking a poll... wondering how difficult other cars are starting after being stored for a couple of months, assuming the battery is fully charged. Mine takes a lot of pumping, and will only start at idle position- absolutely will not start at any other position of the accelerator. In warm weather when it has been run within the past week, starts immediately. After a few weeks, takes a long time.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How hard to start is your car after two months of storage?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »
After 2 months of storage, I would bet that your carb is dry .I experienced the same thing you are citing until I put in an electric fuel pump. I run it 30 seconds or so to prime the carb and then it starts up ,right off the bat.  I replaced a intake manifold one time and noticed a thick build up on the floor of the manifold directly under the carb. It scratched away easily. It was a many years old collection of dried gasoline!
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 06:43:46 PM »
After my cars have sat a few months, I always dump a little gas in the carb and they start right up.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 07:41:38 PM »
I assumed the problem was getting fresh gas to the carb. The battery cranked it OK but felt a bit sluggish earlier today, it tried to fire but failed. I charged the battery for a half hour and it took about a half second to start. There's no in between with this car, it either starts immediately or it takes a while. Rather than dumping gas in the carb, I'll probably use stater fluid. Too many bad experiences with backfires.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:44:18 PM by 51Deluxe »

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 10:53:08 PM »
The best way to simulate having run the car recently is to load the carb bowl. Unscrew the round cover atop where the gas line feeds in and slowly apply gas until it overflows (meaning the bowl is full and the float needle has closed.) This will put the gas condition to what it would be if the car had recently been driven. This eliminates backfire type issues associated with putting gas directly into the throat or spraying in starting fluid.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 09:14:37 AM »
I've seen way too many engines with piston tops blown off thanks to starting fluid. I would, instead, use an aerosol carburetor cleaner like Gumout. It burns like gasoline but will not cause detonation issues like ether.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 12:31:36 PM »
You are not going to find one now days, but they solved all my carburetor flooding problems in the past. One of the few problem automotive solvers that really worked!
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 03:00:51 PM »
My 55 is extremely hard to start when it is cold and it he's not run for several days. it ran yesterday and was hard to start today . I have solver my problem by using a 12 volt source to get it spinning after that it starts easily. I had it rebuilt last summer have 20 weight oil starter was rebuilt it just won't turn over fast enough to start with the 12 volt kicker it goes  starts ok in the summer any suggestions